Forums Latest Members

Opinion required: anyone seen this type of a cal 283 dial before?

1. cagkut May 30, 2017

Hi, I saw this watch during my lunch break today and thinking of purchasing it, BUT I haven't seen a similar dial before. What I specifically am concerned about is that the 12 hour marker is numbered but unlike this type of dials, the 3,6 and 9 o'clock markers are not, there are just dots there. Can anyone vouch for this dial?

283.PNG

2. ConElPueblo May 30, 2017

Sure, it does come in that variation. I have had a few myself.

Not that the dial looks a bit worn - unless the colour on my monitor is off, it could be a sympton of a aggressively cleaned dial. Also, it looks as if the plating has worn off on the lugs. If that is the case, I wouldn't consider a purchase.

BenBagbag likes this.
  3. cagkut May 30, 2017

Thank you very much!

Both of your observations are correct, the dial has a heavy patina and some marks that look like they are outcomes of "scrubbing" if you know what I mean. Plus the plating has come off here and there, but these are looking nice, I would not consider buying it if it was NOS. Of course these have to be reflected on the price, which I believe are not at the moment as he is asking $450 for it. I will buy it if he drops a good 25% off this amount.

4. ConElPueblo May 30, 2017

In my opinion, it is still too much. I am not saying that no-one would ever enjoy wearing the watch, but a gold capped 30mm Omega is by no means a rare watch and if you apply just a tiny amount of patience to your enthusiasm, I am sure that a much better example will surface for the same amount :)

5. cagkut May 30, 2017

6. kreyke May 30, 2017

That's not the same watch? Sorry I'm not really following.

I personally feel that the dial has been messed around too much. It's not the type of patina I'd go for but then again, patina is quite a personal preference.

Moreover, if the plating is coming off, it makes it quite a lot less desirable (to me at least). Not really a collectible piece in my relatively inexperienced opinion.

7. cagkut May 30, 2017

Nope not the same watch, same caliber/same era, different dial.

I agree the watch is not in a very good shape, I just had liked it because of its size and patina of the dial, am open to offers if anyone out there wants to sell a cal 283 in a better shape for similar buck

8. ConElPueblo May 30, 2017

Is this a way of circumventing OF buying/selling rules? Keeping the forum hostage by threatening to buy a crap watch unless you are sold a better example? :p ;)

Curious - why does it have to be cal. 283? Wouldn't case material/size/design be better parameters?

cagkut likes this.
  9. cagkut May 30, 2017

:))) Yes! Be warned that I will buy it unless someone sells me a better one, and I am serious.

Well I had no intentions to surpass the rules really. I did not know there was such a rule, forgive my ignorance. The funny thing is that I recently got a nice 20mm brown strap and I was looking for a reasonable priced watch for that. I saw this one, which has the correct size ::facepalm1::::facepalm1:: Actually it doesn't have to be a cal 283, just 20mm lug width!

10. François Pépin May 30, 2017

I agree with ConelPueblo. Prices are usually high for 38 mm watches, but the condition is too bad here.

It will be hard to find a 30 series 38 mm watch in decent condition for 450 dollars. Same difficulty if what you want is actually a 20mm lugs width. So I guess you will have to search in another direction.

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 30, 2017

You can look for ref 2544 and 2545. Both are 39mm with 20mm lug size. Powered by 283 and 26X.
    But unfortunately, they are not available in that $450 range.

2017-05-30_07-57-14.jpg