Forums Latest Members

Opinion on Tudor Royal Ladies

1. kristal Mar 9, 2020

Hey guys,

Once again I would highly appreciate your feedback. I came across this watch (comes with original box) which I am thinking to buy as a present to my girlfriend. What do you think about that? Anything that I should worry about? Also, do you have any price estimate in mind based on its condition?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Small Edit: The watch is from 1954 and the case is 9ct yellow gold.

tudor1.PNG tudor2.PNG tudor3.PNG tudor4.PNG
    Edited Mar 9, 2020
  2. Canuck Mar 9, 2020

This watch was made in an era before watches became a disposable item. When a battery doesn’t make a modern watch run, you turf it, and go buy another. This watch in not water resistant, nor shock resistant, and if you buy it for her, she will have to manually wind it every day. If she has an accident with it, or wears it near water, be prepared to have it serviced. If she wears this watch the way a lot of people wear watches today, be prepared to maybe be spending repair money on it, frequently. Find out if the bracelet is also 9 karat gold, then consider making an offer based on the scrap gold value. The movement looks tired, and right out of the gate, you’ll be spending money on it. You can do better! I suggest you should consider a water resistant, shock resistant watch, and make certain she will be comfortable having to wind it each day. Maybe quartz rather than manual winder, or perhaps an automatic winder.

Edited Mar 9, 2020
  3. kristal Mar 10, 2020

Thanks for your answer Canuck, I would like to buy an automatic or manual wind watch from 1950s - 1970s, so I do not care about quartz but a nice vintage one. From what you say, I understand that the condition of the watch is not good in terms of movement, so I have to rethink spending money on that one.