Forums Latest Members
  1. hsukhraj Nov 29, 2014

hey all,
    first of all I'm new here; so sorry for barging in directly with a question;
    just bought my first classic watch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Omega-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

at USD400;

was wondering what your opinion is about this watch/ deal? I've mainly been looking for this model because for its looks.
    BR, Haroon

2. Hijak Dec 1, 2014

First up this dial is not from 1961 since Omega only started making Seamaster De Ville models in 1963. Next the reference #, 14775 SC 61, would have been manufactured in 1961...the 61 at the end tells us that. It would be interesting to know the movement serial number so we could date it as well. Unfortunately the evidence so far leans heavily towards a Franken watch. In other words a watch made up from parts of several watches and this will hurt the value of any vintage watch. It always pays to vet your potential purchases here before you buy, it can save you a lot of money and frustration!

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 1, 2014

Serial number looks to be 19M. I can't fully read it, so I can't be sure. If so, then watch dates from 1961-62.

However, the watch has been incorrectly redialed. It was probably a Seamaster model, as HIjak is correct about the dating of the Seamaster DeVille watches.

Not loving the condition of the movement, but it's likely all correct except for the dial.
    gatorcpa