Forums Latest Members

Opinion on this Bulova AA Excellency?

1. blacktiger Mar 23, 2017

Hi guys,

Have been looking at this watch for a few days now, love the style, but it's the condition that worries me.

As you can see from the photos, there is some kind of mark where the chronograph is, almost like it has been sat in direct sunlight whilst not moving, but I'm a newbie to watch collection so could do with all the help possible.

I haven't even really considered buying it and thought best to post on here get some advice from the veterans. I'm more interested in seeing the problems that will be picked out, for example, if it's a redial etc.

Some more information that has been given by the seller:

1946 Bulova His Excellency 17-jewel movement
    1940-1949
    14K Gold Filled
    40mm x 30mm incl lugs
    21j movement
    21j high grade 10ak calibre movement

No service history which is of great concern for me, makes me think twice!

Any advice, and picking out its flaws would be so so helpful for me, thank you!

- Dan

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
  2. Canuck Mar 23, 2017

I think you might well be concerned! In numerous places on the mechanism there are signs of RUST, I suspect moisture also got behind the dial, something rusted, and the water bled out around the seconds hand, and onto the dial! If you could buy it cheap, then take it to a watchmaker and see how bad the rust is, maybe. If you liked the watch well enough to spend a packet putting everything right, it has possibilities. But it might take years and a lot of money to locate and restore a donor movement, and the dial may be permanently stained. Let us know what you decide to do.

blacktiger likes this.
  3. blacktiger Mar 23, 2017

Thank God I came to you first! Well, I would have probably walked away from it, as I didn't trust it myself nor the watch, but finding out all of that, then I'm not going to touch it with a bargepole ha!

Not going to spend all that money for it to be perfmanatly damaged, rather find a piece that is either in good condition or has been recently serviced with histroy.

Thanks for the heads up!

- Dan