Forums Latest Members

Opinion on this 1962 9K Longines Cal.23Z

1. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

Hi guys,

Come across this vintage 1962 Longines and wondered what you guys thought about.

At first glance, to me (I'm fairly new to the vintage watch market) it appears to be all sound, and I personally cannot see signs of a redial, but again this is to the untrained eye I suppose. Perhaps there is, which is why I thought best to post on here and get a few others opinion who are far more clued up on these pieces.

There's the obvious few small marks and scratches but I am more worried about the authenticity of this piece, as I have no prior knowledge of this model, as I had planned on looking into purchasing a 1954 Heritage. I don't think the seller is trying to hide anything, as the photos are of good quality and the movement and reference numbers on the back of the case can be seen easily, whether these match up remains to me seen!

According to the seller, the watch was also serviced in 2012, I'll ask for proof of this, however. I've never heard of the caliber movement, simply because the caliber in watches is still what I am coming to terms with! I found a similar piece online with the same dial, however a different caliber of: Cal.370 Manual

I am going to ask for some more photos of the watch from the seller, so I will post these here also when these come through.

So if anyone could help me shed some light on this piece, ie any history you may know, or some feedback on the piece, in general, I would be so very grateful.

Below is the information was given by the seller. Thanks, guys!

- Dan

Information:

The solid gold case is in very good condition. It is 9k and 33 mm in diameter excluding lugs and original, signed winding crown. The case back bears a reference of 7297 1 769 on its inner alongside the Longines signature. Furthermore, the importer's initials of 'Baume' and the London import Assay hallmarks for 1962, 9k gold.

The silvered dial has an area of discolouration near the 5 hour as can be seen in the photography. It is, however, entirely original and features a clear 'Longines' signature in black print with the famous Longines logo below in gold. The hands are also in gold (including subsidiary seconds) to match the case and the mix of Arabic and baton hours.

The movement (caliber 23Z) is high-grade as one would expect from Longines. It has 17 jewels and a serial number of 12278079 dating the movement to 1963 to post-date the case by a year (up to 4 years difference is common as both the cases movements were bulk made). It is, of course, signed ‘Longines’ and the watch functions perfectly having last been serviced in 2012.

The watch comes on a tan, Hirsch Crocograin leather strap (with little wear) with gold colored buckle to match the case of this lovely vintage watch.

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg
    alexantonio27 likes this.
  2. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

Looking at some other Cal.23z movements on similar watches and almost identicals, I am seeing that the minute and hour hands are different, not being a Longines collector I have to know real knowledge on whether these hands are authentic, or have been taken from a different piece...hope it's not a...a..FRANKEN WATCH! *insert high suspense music*

3. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

Although the the 23Z is a nice in-house movement from Longines this watch has a poor redial. Along with the dial damage at five o'clock...well these things kill it for me and no need to look further. Looking at the "Longines" font and comparing it with other Longines from that era it's very noticeable. Compare this with my 23ZSD (S = center seconds and D = date) and you can see difference...
    image.jpeg
    The "G" in Longines is the worst offender! Also if you look at the crown, the way it fits, or doesn't fit on the case and the poorly fitted strap (looks like it was cut to fit watch), this watch does not look well cared for and is another red flag for me. IMO you can find a far better example for your money and Longines are still an excellent value in the vintage watch world.:thumbsup: Good luck, what ever you decide to do!

DaveK, Syrte and adi4 like this.
  4. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

5. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

Well, this forum and yourself have done it again! Saved me from a piece I didn't even realised had a redial. Now I'm looking back at it, I completely see what you mean! The "G" is a huge giveaway and I hadn't even noticed! So thank you so much!

The Conquest is stunning, and one that I saw a couple of days ago, but in a way thought it was almost TOO good. To tell you the truth, the one I linked to you cost £395, which is around $450 I think! So I'm so pleased you linked it.

Is the linked watch you showed all in sound condition, I.e no redial / extra parts etc etc. If so, I may get in touch with seller! :)

6. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

You welcome, it was good that you posted and asked before you purchased!:thumbsup: Many people don't and suffer the consequences. It takes a while looking at many, many watches to truly "see" a watch, there is no substitute for experience in this hobby!
    Again, good luck in your search...Longines is a good place to start, in my experience lots-O-watch for the money.:)

7. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

Haha I've picked up a few tips from the veteran collectors about what to do if a potential watch is found, and posting on here was one of them! And I'm so glad I did! Just to clarify, in your honest opinion, is the Vintage 1960 conquest you linked a good purchase? :)

8. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

I would not have suggested it otherwise. Seller has dropped the price from $725 to $500...now a very good price. In my opinion this watch has features many are looking for...date at 12, nice 291 auto movement, rose gold. This watch is not solid gold but the next best thing, gold cap...a thick layer of gold (~200 microns compared to gold plate ~20 microns). The watch is not perfect, by any means, but is a lot of vintage watch for the money!:thumbsup: It is an excellent watch for someone new to vintage watches to see if this hobby is for them...just my two cents.:) I really think if the seller had a better shot of the dial this watch would have sold long ago. Sometimes bad or inadequate pictures are an experienced buyers best friend!;)

DaveK likes this.
  9. adi4 Mar 25, 2017

The only thing that made me hesitate on the linked watch is the lumed dial and non-lumed hands. Shouldn't be too hard to source lumed hands if you plan on servicing it anyways. I am by no means a Conquest expert, just pointing out a possible reason it hasn't sold just yet. It does look great and the Conquests from that era are a great value in my mind.

10. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

I would leave it as is...not sure but I think it came from Longines that way. Markers don't have lume and not sure those marks at 3, 6 & 9 are lume. Would need to have in hand to see for sure. Reguardless, I'd leave it as is.

Edited Mar 25, 2017
  11. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

It sure is a gorgeous watch, and no it's not perfect, however, I did not expect to get a perfect Longines Conquest for that money. In terms of the Lume @adi4, I can't really tell if the hands are lumed, I know if they are then it's rare for the indices to not be, however as @Hijak said, I may just leave as is.

As far as shipping is confirmed, the seller has stated it won't be tracked. Is this a fair necessity to have for such a piece as it's going to be shipped via UPS to the UK.

12. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

That's up to the seller and you but I usually ship my watches USPS Priority mail tracked. Tracking is important IMO.

adi4 likes this.
  13. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

I think you're right. Especially as it's my first overseas purchase.

14. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

@Hijak Just been having a look at what I can get in the UK that's of similar to the 1960 Cal.23Z but instead is a 1955 Longines 12.68Z Bi Metal.

This is a lovely looking watch with mechanical movement. I really do like that light Patina over the face of it, whether or not this increases or decreases the price begs to be seen, however. The overall case is supposedly the frowned upon gold plated, but the lugs move to stainless scappoled lugs; this does concern me that it isn't genuine, however again I'm not family with this model.

I can also send across some more information if needed. The photos are great and have been taken with a macro lens. The piece interests me simply because it's UK based and I won't need to incur any conversion charges etc.

Really hope you don't mind me asking you for your opinion, you really seem to know what you're talking about and I would hate to get burnt. :) Thank you so much! LONGINES move_zpstgqok6ey.jpg LONGINES in_zpsri92y6ix.jpg LONGINES sig_zpsicvcxoc9.jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

15. Hijak Mar 25, 2017

Think that might be a redial too. The Longines looks a little thick but the biggest issue might be the lack of "Swiss" or "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial. It might be fine but the lack of minute markers on this dial style is bugging me too. All of these things together would have me shy away from this one. This is just my two cents though.

Syrte likes this.
  16. blacktiger Mar 25, 2017

There we go again! Now this one I certainly wouldn't of thought about the missing "Swiss Made". Was this pretty much a requirement for all watches created with Swiss Movements in the 1960's - Present etc?

17. ConElPueblo Mar 26, 2017

Lack of minute markers AND luminous material on the dial...

blacktiger likes this.
  18. blacktiger Mar 26, 2017

Very true indeed, completely panned that piece off, certainly not worth it's £395 price tag!

19. Fialetti Mar 26, 2017

20. blacktiger Mar 26, 2017

Thank you for this, yes it would cost me an extra £70 just to import it according to that!