Forums Latest Members
  1. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

Hi Guys,

As many of you will know if you've seen me around, I have been longing for a vintage piece for a few months now and have been holding off on various purchases and biding my time.

Let me start off by saying, I'm glad I have as my style preference has changed dramatically since I began my search, my first post I was longing for a Connie or Seamaster, gold with a leather strap. Coming to the realization that perhaps for my first piece - which I will insist on wearing every day - it needs to be a little more rugged. I'm not sat down all day, which means it's likely going to be knocked and dinged as much as it pains me to say.

For this reason I've changed my choice to a more rugged Diver style - the ultimate goal in the future being the James Bond SM 300 2561.80 - For now, however, I've been looking around and still wanting to keep with a swiss auto movement, the Tag Heuer Aquaracer, is a model I've been looking and do like the style - it's similar to the SM300 & Submarina without being a complete homage.

Just wondered, what your opinion on the brand Tag Heuer is, I've heard some watch collectors criticise and overlook the brand, but not too sure why. Also, if there are any other brands out there that are similar stylings to the SM300 Bond, preferably Swiss made. ;) (I've heard Oris etc)

Thanks for your help once again guys!

I've attached a few photos of the styles from Tag I like, also the general diver style I like. Including the SM300 babe ;) - The 1000 is my least preferred simply because of it's similarity to the Submarina :p

- Dan

5001127195_28f2f6ea0e_z.jpg 0873be205fddc8eea22b869771870992.jpg WAY211A-BA0928.png
  2. chows99 Apr 15, 2017

My opinion is if sm300 is ur ultimate dream not too far away, do not settle for 2nd best. Just keep stashing away the cash and enjoy the moment when you finally gets it.

George.A, Foo2rama, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  3. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

**Forgot to add this**

If anyone can recommend any other Dive watches, for example the SM 200 I know is quite a popular piece, then I'd be most grateful :)

- Dan

4. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

I've been thinking of that, it's not about the price as such, it's the fact I can't really justify spending that amount of money for my first piece, hence why It will be a 2nd or 3rd purchase down the line :p

5. marcuscarcus Apr 15, 2017

I don't know. I feel like you should go with something entirely different then. Like if you want a sm300 go with a different style of watch like a nice dress watch if thats your style and save up for the sm300. I wouldn't settle for second best if you know what you really want

blacktiger likes this.
  6. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

This was my first option when I first started my interest. I wanted something like Longine Heritage 1954, but like stated in the post, It'll be a post that no matter how much I try, I will want to wear every day in all situations, whether in the office or travelling etc. :)

7. marcuscarcus Apr 15, 2017

Alright, if you want a nice vintage piece that you can be a little rougher with there are a lot of great vintage seikos that just keep on trucking. Or you could really save some money and go with a SKX007 which is a ton of watch for the money

George.A, Jwit and blacktiger like this.
  8. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

Hmm, I'll take a look. I had said from the start I didn't really want anything but Swiss Made, but the overall consensus of the Seiko movement and pieces are excellent here on OF. I'll get back to you on that! ;)

marcuscarcus likes this.
  9. marcuscarcus Apr 15, 2017

I really really love my seiko and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

blacktiger likes this.
  10. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

Infact there are a lot of Seiko's styles that I like a lot. The PADI Pepsi bezel is really cool looking, so perhaps this is an option? :p

blufinz52 likes this.
  11. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 15, 2017

You don't justify, you rationalize. ;) Your S.O., if you have one, will always point this out. :)

blacktiger and Jwit like this.
  12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 15, 2017

For around $300, it"s hard to beat the Seiko PADI. A good friend just got one and he loves it.

blacktiger likes this.
  13. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 15, 2017

You know I'll recommend th PADI any day :D

Dan you can also just try buying something that doesn't break the bank (like a lower cost Seiko) and try it out. If you don't like it you can always throw it up on eBay or something. You maybe not get 100% of your money back but you still will get most of it

IMG_1626.JPG 4A51FD0D-DED2-48D0-9418-5C035C554565.jpg IMG_1677.JPG IMG_1697.JPG A2803AA9-AC15-4E49-9FA8-01F9AAA0880E.jpg IMG_1776.JPG 58904FC0-67BB-438E-8A1D-7429AA2BB0D9.jpg IMG_1936.JPG
  14. abrod520 Apr 15, 2017

I think a regular Seiko 5 diver might be a good option to hold you over while you save up for the Seamaster. You might also try watchrecon or some of the dealers here on the Watches for Sale board to see if you can find a good deal on one

blacktiger, Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 15, 2017

image.jpg

Skx 009 or the all black 007. Little more normal case then the turtle. About $200 on bracelet.

Great watch and perfect to save for what I love as the Perfect single watch the Bond version of the 300 SM. I love the Bond over the regular one as imho the dial is better and I prefer the GMT bezel.

George.A, blacktiger and Jwit like this.
  16. BPD Apr 15, 2017

I have the Aquaracer Calibre 16 and it's a solid watch. If you shop around you can get a decent discount on any Aquaracer. As for people bashing TAG, just turn a blind eye to them. They obviously haven't bother to try one so they don't know what they are missing ;)
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 16.jpg

Tako Yaki, HHP, Hijak and 1 other person like this.
  17. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

I was waiting for your PADI reply ;) It's obvious you love it, which is great! :) - What's the differences in these Seiko divers, is the Pogue the most sort after piece? :p

18. blacktiger Apr 15, 2017

Ooooh, I LOVE that, that's gorgeous in my eyes. Of course, nothing will beat my SM300 Bond, but it's on very close par to it. Where am I best to look for to get discounts on the Aquaracers? Not too bothered what the "haters" say, at this moment in time, It's more about me getting a well made swiss rugged piece, where I will then be able to save up and get a more respected piece - after all, this is my first purchase :)

19. Hijak Apr 15, 2017

No one here has bashed Tag...yet.;) Had an Aquaracer myself, one of the best blue dials ever IMO!:thumbsup:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Liked it a lot, like I said above one of the best blue dials (that this picture does not capture), bullet proof 7750 movement and very legible!:thumbsup: Ended up selling it because there were things I wanted more. Like any other watch company, there are things they do well and other things not so well.

On a different note those Seiko PADI watches (like that 009 too) are deffinetly getting my attention for a rugged do all watch!:thumbsup:

BPD and blacktiger like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 15, 2017

The Pogues not a diver but a vintage Chrono. In fact a specific color scheme on the first auto chronograph from Seiko and named after an astronaut. Vintage Seiko requires a bit of research to get the most out of your dollar. There are a lot of pieces together watches out there.

Basically there are 2 divers under $300 new for Seiko. The SKX and the new turtle aka SRP. The turtle rerelease is inspired from the 6309 diver from the 80's and a bit earlier.

They differ in case and slightly in movement. The SKXhas a more traditional case and the turtle has a slightly better movement with hacking and hand winding. Both are available in all black and Pepsi.

The PADI edition is a slightly different color scheme and I believe available on a few different Seiko. There is another limited edition SRP the Blue Lagoon which replaces the red with light blue.

amrhalim747, blacktiger and Jwit like this.