Forums Latest Members

Opinion on Seiko 45899 value ?

1. MaiLollo Feb 13, 2017

Hello to all,

Maybe it is not the best forum in the world to ask this, but I've seen one for sale that looks nice, with the original bracelet, should be all original with a plastic black bezel in perfect condition.
    Prices are all across the board on the bay, so my question is: what do you people think is the market value for a monopusher 45899 in good original condition ?
    I believe these are undervalued based on what I've seen on eBay (between 1000 - 1500) for the historical importance + design + rarity of the piece...
    What do you knowledgeable people think ?
    45899.jpg

Attached is a picture found on the google for illustration.

2. MaiLollo Feb 14, 2017

Well, I didn't expect a lot of responses, I'll try elsewhere !
    Sometimes it's just difficult to judge a piece's value... Guess I have to trust myself on this one

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2017

I am sorry we did not do the research for you. Then there is the problem of good condition being somewhat vague statement. Depends on dial replacement costs, hand replacement costs, bezel rarity... You basically just asked what is the price of a 67 mustang in good condition... define good condition, and about 20 other parameters.

The problem is this forum is not hard core into Seiko the nuances of Vintage Seiko's let alone more rare models... have you tried the 2 dedicated Seiko forums.

4. MaiLollo Feb 14, 2017

I'm not after an exact price but rather a range of values for a serviced watch that looks exactly like the one in the pic (I've seen a bad one from australia go for 2200 but then I see a good-looking one for 1200 on the bay that doesn't sell. Speedy market is more straightforward to me, this I have no idea if I'm getting screwed at around 1300€). But more than I value I'm wondering if people know this model, if there is some interest for it, if someone has one, etc.

I have done my research, I would just like to have an exchange of opinions on a specific model with some people that may (or not) know more about it than I do.

I'll look for a Seiko forum and ask there. Thanks.

5. ConElPueblo Feb 14, 2017

"Sold" auctions on eBay really is the best way to value these pieces as that will show you how much the CAN be sold for and not a bunch of collectors' biased opinions. In my experience, when someone ask for advice on pricing, they'll get a number that is either very low (when said collector haven't been studying the market in a while or when he thinks he's being asked how much he'd pay for it...) or very high (when a collector has a number of them...). On OF, IMO, people tend to undervalue watches when asked for opinions.

Good luck on getting users on other message boards to comment on price. You'll find that OF is one of the few places on the net (yes, really!) where values are openly discussed and eBay links are allowed.

6. MaiLollo Feb 14, 2017

Thanks a lot for your reply, I didn't really know that people on here tend to undervalue stuff, but now that you mention it I'm not surprised. I'd rather have that than the opposite !
    Yes I've checked the sold listings but they're all over the place. Well I guess I'm going to get it since I love it and if one day I need to sell it , worst case scenario I get burnt!

7. ConElPueblo Feb 14, 2017

Have a look at the sold listings - what quality are the watches in? What quality is the listing itself (photos, description...)? Is it restrictive regarding shipping options? Are there any other points that stand out from the listing, ie. shilling or foul play? This will help you value any given (non-rare) watch on eBay pretty accurately.

MaiLollo likes this.