Forums Latest Members
  1. IvanTomislavek Dec 10, 2018

Hello,
    as of recently I am thinking of purchasing my first Omega watch. The watch in the photos caught my eye. As my knowledge of Omega is no way sufficient may I please ask for your opinion of the Seamaster cal. 501. Is it worth buying. Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you,
    Ivan

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 10, 2018

A bit difficult to be sure based on those pics but looks like a Gold Capped 501 movement 2846, from circa 1956-7 at a guess. Looks OK, dial is suspiciously clean but the text looks right. That said the 2 index is twisted and there is something going on near the edge at the 1-3 indices, maybe a missing case clamp is allowing the dial to come away from the case. It needs looking at anyhow. Gold cap is less tolerant of refinishing that pure gold or steel so you would need to check that it hasn't rubbed through as that can look less than great. These wear nicely on the wrist and are circa 35mm in dia so don't feel as old fashioned as the year of manufacture might suggest. It will almost certainly need a service so factor in a further $200-300 outlay to get it sorted. I would buy myself it if the price was right.

Edited Dec 10, 2018
    Noddyman and IvanTomislavek like this.
  3. mac_omega Dec 10, 2018

Markers 10 and 11 look completely smooth, without facets... have the original ones been replaced by simple square gold pieces?
    Or is it just unfortunate lighting? I am not sure whats going on...

Edited Dec 11, 2018
    Noddyman and IvanTomislavek like this.
  4. IvanTomislavek Dec 11, 2018