Forums Latest Members
  1. prepishlypunk Sep 21, 2013

I'm having a hard time finding an original Deville online. I don't want a franken. I asked for advice on here about this one from Ebay and was told not to go over $500, but how likely is it that it is a franken? The guy said he won't open the case because he's afraid to scratch it. Says he got it from an estate. Is $500 a fair price if it turns out to be a franken? http://www.ebay.com/itm/261286119838Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network I also found this one. http://www.rubylane.com/item/510967-AHx20-x20Seamaterx20DeVille/Vintage-Omega-Automatic-Seamaster-De Looks like all the parts are the same color to me so probably not a franken, right? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Hijak Sep 21, 2013

That second one is missing the date window surround. And it is also too much money for what it is!:eek: The first one looks, at the current price ($250), is a much better deal. The fonts look good and the case looks pretty sharp, meaning not polished to death. I'd keep an eye on this one if I was in the market for a SM De Ville!

EDIT: Many times with a front loader case like the De Villes have you will not see movement shots on eBay. It is fairly difficult to remove the movement without the proper skills.

3. prepishlypunk Sep 21, 2013

Thanks for the info. Would you also agree to not go over $500 for the first one?

4. Hijak Sep 21, 2013

I'm not an expert on pricing...having said that this watch has only two bids on it with under two days left and I wouldn't put my bid in until the very end. There is always a risk when buying a vintage watch even for the experienced. Figure what you're willing to spend on it and so not to run up the bidding put that in near the end. Also I'm sure before the end of this action you'll hear from some others. Good luck, whatever you choose!

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2013

You need to leave some money in the kitty for a new crystal (if the one on it isn't original or too far gone) and a service. That will run you $100 to $150 if no other parts are needed. You'll be right at the edge of your budget.

Understand that the band is likely original to the watch and will bring a small premium. It may end up going for a bit more that your budget.

The second watch is a disaster and I wouldn't buy it with your money.
    gatorcpa

6. prepishlypunk Sep 21, 2013

I will stay away from the second one. I am willing to pay more than $500.00; I just don't want to pay more than it is worth. Would you say don't go over $600 for the one on Ebay considering I will need to pay another $150.00 for service/crystal? Thanks for the advice.

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 21, 2013

It has T Swiss Made T , that means it's a later version and could be powered by a 565, quick set.

But it's only my guess ;)

8. prepishlypunk Sep 21, 2013

Is that a bad thing?

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 21, 2013

it helps you change the date quicker than old versions , a good feature to have.

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2013

Cal 565 is a very good movement.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2013

I don't know what to tell you. Is it a $750 watch in serviced condition? Probably not.

This is where the gamble comes in,
    gatorcpa

12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 21, 2013

I think you need to change your approach if you are averse to the risk involved with eBAY. Find a trusted online dealer who will supply pictures of the movement, etc. It might cost a little bit more, but you know what you are getting and it will be serviced etc.

13. prepishlypunk Sep 21, 2013

You might be right. Do you have any suggestions for an online dealer?

14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 21, 2013

I hope this does not violate forum rules, but some of the dealers I have dealt with in the past are www.finertimes.com, www.watchseller.com, www.yorktime.com.
    The one online dealer I would recommend caution with is Darlor watch, as I have seen franken watches and fakes offered. I am sure other can recommend dealers.

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 22, 2013

Almost nothing violates forum rules here!
    The other option is to look at the for sales section of this forum