Forums Latest Members
  1. Vakane Nov 20, 2017

hi everyone... I’ve always had a thing for changing things up...

Like a date delete... that’s what came to mind looking at an old seamaster...

Would I be able to just get a dial that fits/no date window and replace the current dial? (This all done by a watch tech)

Or am I dreaming?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 20, 2017

Depends on the watch and availability of the dial.

3. Kwijibo Nov 20, 2017

+1 what watch?

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 20, 2017

The date change mechanism does often involve a different cannon pinion size and other adjustments. If it's an old Seamaster, it's fairly unlikely that dials would be available, and you would probably have to buy another similar model (same movement and case style/size, but non date) so as to thoroughly butcher the original watch to make it look like the parts watch you would have to purchase. This is a kind of asinine Catch22, and presents an argument of simply forgetting the first watch and buying the second.:thumbsdown:

In vintage watches, change for change's sake rarely ever equals better

Edited Nov 20, 2017
    M'Bob and X350 XJR like this.
  5. Vakane Nov 20, 2017

Correct me if I’m wrong but could I just get a non date dial and “cover” the date complication?

I was thinking a baby ploprof seamaster

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 20, 2017

Not all watches came with the option.

Anything’s possible with enough money. Tracking a model with both options or a dial that fits a date movement without a date seems like a lot of work.

There are not a lot of dials laying around vintage speaking as they are already attached to movements.

There are custom dial makers out there but that’s another conversation.

7. Kwijibo Nov 21, 2017

The baby ploprof dial doesn't exist without date but theorically it's possible to cover the date if you canion pinnion, hours wheel, and second pinion are high enough.
    The sm 300 exists with and without date, 565 and 552 but the hours wheel, and second pinion are not the same height.

Vakane likes this.