Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic Jan 4, 2016

Hi all! I'm a new member here: I've only introduced myself a few days ago, and already I'm bothering you with a question ;-)

I have my eye on an Omega 'Soccer Timer', ref. 145.019. It's been on my grail shortlist for a while now, but unfortunately I've never done any real research on it yet. So now that one came up, I thought I'd enlist your help. The soccer timer in question is sold without papers & documentation, and in an Omega box (which I highly doubt is the correct box for this watch). The asking price is USD 3250, but this is likely negotiable.

Some of my questions are:
    - I'm a bit worried about the hands. The look exceedingly orange for a 45-year-old watch. Might they be replacements?
    - The seller says it's on a 1181 bracelet with 625 end links. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct bracelet? I seem to recall having owned this bracelet on a dressier seamster from the period, but I don't think I've ever seen it on a soccer timer
    - I believe the 145.019 is more desirable than the 145.20, but this one doesn't have the roulette dial (which iirc is more in demand). What do you think about the watch in general, and specifically in relation to the asking price?

Thanks a lot!

$_85-2.JPG $_85-3.JPG $_85-4.JPG $_85-5.JPG $_85-6.JPG $_85-7.JPG $_85-8.JPG $_85.JPG

Edited Jan 4, 2016
  2. dialstatic Jan 5, 2016

No one has any feeling regarding this soccer timer? I seem to recall it was a popular watch on these boards a few years back ;-) Would any of you pick this up, given the info provided? And if so, at what price? Thanks in advance!

3. shane0mack Jan 5, 2016

The hands, as you say, are exceedingly orange, but that's not impossible. It looks like the lume in the hands is very dark, much like the lume on the hour markers (unless I'm mistaking dark lume for missing lume, which I can't be 100% sure of). If that lume matches, then it's not a poor conclusion to say they've reached the same color from being the same age.

Trying to figure out the correct bracelets for Omegas of this time period is pretty difficult, as I'm not sure there are truly "correct bracelets" in some cases. I've seen Soccer Timers on a few different styles; mine is on an 1117.

Not having the roulette bezel is not a deal breaker for me. I really don't think many folks bought them in '69/'70 with that bezel, so you won't find too many with it as an original part. I've seen a couple that had aged roulette bezels, which leads me to believe they are original, but I think most you'll see have been replaced. Finding a roulette bezel isn't very hard, so if you wanted to, you could have a watchmaker swap them.

I think the asking price is fair market, but it might be worth paying a little more for a dial that has nicer aging on the markers. It took me a year to find the right Soccer Timer at the right price, and I'm glad I waited.

Baselworld 3-20-1-31.jpg

Ozawa, hugo, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  4. JH11932 Jan 5, 2016

I went looking for a bracelet for this watch (I have one as well, in white), and have a note that the original bracelet number was 1170, but I can't seem to find a source that corroborates this definitively. There's a note here about how the 1170 fits this 145.019, but I don't know if this is conclusive. But I hope it helps!

http://www.ofrei.com/page838.html

(Also, while your mileage may vary, let me be the devil on your shoulder and say this: I bought mine without having seen it in person, and fearful that I'd never wear it, but it was absolutely the watch that I wore the most last year. I've come to really love these colorful Omegas!)

Ozawa and dialstatic like this.
  5. lillatroll Jan 5, 2016

The bracelet should be 1171, it might be a typo on the sellers part, but the end links are correct. A replacement bezel,will set you back in the region of 250-300 GBP. I am not sure about the hands but I think the price is a bit steep considering it does not have the roullette bezel.

Ozawa and dialstatic like this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 5, 2016

Not as familiar with the .019 but the .020 came with the 1170/625 22mm and the 1171 is just a "get-me-by". Aren't the cases the same lug width?

The search for a bracelet to complete my Omega for sale is what led me to this forum a few years back.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/hel...5-020-bracelet-service.2362/page-2#post-27419

Moderator SpikiSpikester was most helpful, then, and always.

I have seen a few the last couple of years and the good ones have been $500 US!
    They are uncomfortable and rather common looking, I much prefer my mesh.

There was a good review written a few years ago on soccer timers, I'll try to find it.

Edited Jan 5, 2016
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 5, 2016

8. bristnj Jan 5, 2016

I agree with Buck. The mesh on the larger sizes looks killer! On my 145.016 I have a BOR that suites it nicely. Maybe Buck can post a pic on his. Looks amazing on the bracelet he found!

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 5, 2016

I'm embarrassed to keep parading the old girl out, but if you insist!

IMGP4060-1.jpg

IMGP4062-1.jpg

DSCN0375.JPG

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2016

UncleBuck is right - the 1171 is the modern replacement for the discontinued 1170. There are plenty of people that have original versions with another bracelet - I think 1162 or 1163, but can't exactly remember offhand.

In those days you could often choose the bracelet at the AD when you bought & the catalogues offered bracelet options, so there isn't a precise single bracelet that is the only "correct" bracelet in the way you get nowdays.

Mesh is not a "correct" historical option, but looks fantastic. It's what I used on mine, even though I had an 1170 for it.

bristnj, UncleBuck and dialstatic like this.