Forums Latest Members

Opinion Breitling Chronomat 7808

1. Ness Mar 13, 2021

Could you kindly give your opinion in relation to the authenticity and condition of this vintage 7808 Chronomat?

I know that the photos resolution is not great.

It is certainly a busy dial. The kind of time piece that one either loved or hate it, I guess.

I have also tried a Breitling dedicate forum, but it seems that there is no much going on there.

Many thanks.

$_57-2.JPG $_57-3.JPG $_57-4.JPG $_57.JPG
  2. amcclell Mar 13, 2021

The movement, dial and hands look fine to me. What is your cause for concern?

Dan S likes this.
  3. Ness Mar 13, 2021

I do not know the model well enough. In essence, I am looking for assistance to make an informed decision.

4. Dan S Mar 13, 2021

In all seriousness, in these situations, I generally like to do a lot of research myself so that I feel well-informed. It's still nice to ask for other opinions, but TBH it can sometimes be hard to know whether you can believe the opinions you get if you don't have a good foundation.

5. Rado63 Mar 13, 2021

I am wondering if it's missing one orange hand on the 9 o' clock sub dial. Otherwise I would enjoy owning this piece.

amcclell likes this.
  6. Dan S Mar 13, 2021

That's funny, you're right. The black hand in the hour register doesn't even have the right shape.

7. cvalue13 Mar 13, 2021

In many of these, the shape found at 9 can/should be the black placed at 6; meanwhile, the shape and orange at 3 duplicated at 9

Point being, I *think* the hand at 9 should be moved to the 6

For what little my opinion is worth, funny things with subdial hands is no deal breaker on these 60’s Breitlings if the price is right and it’s intended as a wearer or mini-project. The 60s were so zany regarding inconsistency of factory or replacement parts that one might consider such inconsistencies only barely “incorrect” ... at the right price

Ness and Dan S like this.
  8. amcclell Mar 13, 2021

I believe you are correct - it looks like the hour sub-dial hand was replaced with a black one. As stated above, this would not bother me that much on a watch from this era, if it was well priced.

9. Ness Mar 14, 2021

Than you guys for spotting the inconsistency and the helpful advice.

The asking price is US$ 5,600 (plus taxes), which now seems a bit too high based on the info above.

I wonder how difficult (or feasible) would it be to find the right orange hand to place at the 9 sub-dial.

Many thanks for your thoughts.