Forums Latest Members

Open-ended leather strap manufacturers

1. queriver Oct 7, 2018

I haven't found much information on OF about makers of open-ended leather straps for watches with fixed bars. Often NATOs and Perlons don't suit a vintage watch and a 2-piece leather strap is needed but you are compromised by the fixed bars. For obvious reasons not so many straps for fixed bars are made these days so, if you don't want to commission a custom strap, below is a list of suppliers I've come across that do produce them.

They use a variety of attachment methods including glue, foldable metal tabs fitted through slots in the strap, clip-in ends and rivets. I've only used Hirsch who produce a very good quality strap that attaches with a solid glue activated using acetone. This fastening method ensures the strap retains a flat profile. I'm unable to vouch for the quality of the other makers as I haven't bought their products, and I'm not affiliated with any maker.

Please add other manufacturers you've come across and comment on their quality if you've experience with them.

Hirsch (hirschstraps.com): glue/acetone system
    GLC Straps (GLCstraps.it): strap with slots cut into leather for folding tabs
    strapfactory.com: glue
    sectime.co.uk: folded metal edge
    Di-Modell (di-modell.com): metal clip fastening ("Nappa Clip")
    Rios1931 (rios1931.com): metal clip fastening ("Easy Clip system")
    Darlena (darlena.co.uk): glue/acetone system, possibly other methods, can't tell from their catalogue
    Fluco (fluco.de): riveted cuff straps ("Vigo")
    Eulit (eulit.de): riveted cuff straps and clip-end system ("Natina Clip")
    Hadley-Roma (hadleyroma.com): riveted cuff straps
    Eichmuller (www.eichmullerwatch.com): clip-end system
    Meyhofer (via watch-band-center.com): clip-end system
    CWC (cwcwatch.com): screw fitting

A 2013 thread referred to straps for fixed bar watches but mainly covered purchases on ebay and didn't get much traction. Here it is: https://omegaforums.net/threads/sourcing-fixed-bar-staps.7746/#post-91782

Edited Oct 7, 2018
  2. S.H. Oct 7, 2018

allwoundup and queriver like this.
  3. queriver Oct 7, 2018

Thank you, the strap on their site looks nice. How do end-consumers buy their products?

4. S.H. Oct 7, 2018

Unfortunately, I don't know. You may try to contact them directly? Or ask around any watchmaker/reseller in your area...

It is a small European operation, they mostly sell to professionals afaik (in France at least).

queriver likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 7, 2018

There have been a number of threads on the subject of this thread, and they have been gathered under the sticky thread “Watch strap ressources”.

Maybe that’a where you should post your suggestions? I just re-read that thread and it’s true a lot of the discussions bear on bespoke open end straps so your list would be a good addition.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/«wa...eather-watch-straps.82232/page-9#post-1066758

“open end straps” are discussed in various places but mostly at the end.

Edited Oct 7, 2018
    allwoundup, Larry S and NT931 like this.
  6. queriver Oct 7, 2018

@Syrte I saw that thread but most of the posts don’t address manufacturers of open-ended straps and those posts that do mostly allude to bespoke makers who are only able to be contacted by first PMing an OF member. For people looking for an off-the-shelf strap for a fixed-bar watch they would need to wade through pages of posts only to find little.

A dedicated thread for these types of straps makes it easier.

thelinendial and allwoundup like this.
  7. NT931 Oct 7, 2018

You can try this chap on IG, who did a custom open ended strap for me recently. I'm pretty happy with it - it's the same style as GLCstraps, a bendable bar with foldable tabs.

upload_2018-10-7_20-39-58.png

Rman, Syrte and queriver like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 7, 2018

Hi there,
    That leather looks great N., which one is it?

For off the shelf fixed bar straps, Accurate Form makes outstanding Horween straps in a medium price range with foldable tabs.
    Found on the web sites of Japanese dealers Curious Curio and Private Eye (cheaper on Curious Curio).
    If you’re in the EU the import cost can add about 30% to the price, sadly, once you include the outlandish customs processing fees.

queriver likes this.
  9. NT931 Oct 7, 2018

@Syrte , will PM you for the leather... bit hard to describe!

and yes, I forgot Accurate Form too. +1 for Syrte's suggestion - the leather is pretty good and supple. Curious Curio has a good range, and they ship overseas.

queriver likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 7, 2018

queriver likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 7, 2018

@queriver I get your overall distinction of wanting to list “off the shelf” manufacturers vs bespoke providers.

But some of the bespoke craftsmen we discussed have prices that are equivalent or below what you might pay for industrial off the shelf, with true vintage style, high quality leathers, lots of thread colors and turn around time that can be 24 hours/48 hours in some cases.

queriver, NT931 and Larry S like this.
  12. queriver Oct 7, 2018

Please add them if you wish, otherwise forum members already have the link to the sticky thread you mentioned above. If the administrators prefer to merge these threads that is of course their right. It would be helpful if everyone posting about bespoke strap makers provides information to identify the atelier to forum members so we can search for info about the atelier without needing to send a PM.

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 7, 2018

Well as you said they’re already listed.
    Not everybody has a website though, or even an Instagram account.
    @Myron has a website though:
    http://www.roverhaven.com/

I’ll post this thread in the other one so people can cross refer to it. The only reason we asked the mods to create a sticky was to avoid repeating the same advice over and over.
    (Which some of us kept doing as some of the threads age out).

Edited Oct 7, 2018
    queriver likes this.
  14. Renton Oct 8, 2018

queriver likes this.
  15. Braindrain May 27, 2020

Syrte likes this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 27, 2020

They are fantastic indeed, great texture and finish.
    They are the Accurate Form straps mentioned above.

17. Braindrain Jan 19, 2021

Didn't mean to tomb raid, but was in discussions with this maker. He recently changed to an official business, Torre Handmade Leather Straps. However, he's not able to take Paypal at the moment and only wire. I'm waiting until he can take PP as the wire fees are too high for such small amounts.

Edit: Looks like he may have a workaround.

Edited Jan 19, 2021
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 19, 2021

Transferwise has very low fees. There’s a thread about best transfer alternatives and it’s much cheaper than Paypal.

Braindrain and NT931 like this.
  19. NT931 Jan 19, 2021

Totally agree - I use Transferwise and I find it quick, and much MUCH cheaper than Paypal. Previous thread discussion here.

Braindrain and Syrte like this.
  20. Braindrain Jan 19, 2021

Good to know!