Forums Latest Members
  1. Croc Feb 17, 2019

For anyone interested in learning more about movements and how they work I’ve come across an online watchmaking course https://learnwatchmaking.com So far it seems good, the presenter explains things clearly and it’s easy to follow. They have a free introductory lesson gives a good idea of the presenter’s style. Got a cheap Chinese ETA clone to work on as I can pretty much guarantee I’ll make a lot of mistakes along the way, but maybe one day I’ll know what I’m doing! Once I’ve got through a few more lessons will post an update on my thoughts on the course.

RevZMan123, Deafboy, quito and 6 others like this.
  2. Lovewatches2 Feb 17, 2019

How much are they charging for the course?

3. Croc Feb 18, 2019

The basic course is $140, but they also have additional courses for chronographs, etc.

4. Lovewatches2 Feb 18, 2019

Thanks for the info & good luck on your study.

5. TimtimeIntl Feb 18, 2019

This could be cool. You used to be able to get these mini watch benches (wooden box with drawer and work top) you could place on a regular height table that would be great for beginners. Scour ebay or old family jewelry stores or NAWCC watch shows for tools and cheap mechanical watches and you can give it a try.

6. Croc Feb 24, 2019

Just a quick update. I have completed a few of the lessons now. So far I’ve found it enjoyable and easy to follow. Christian explains things very clearly, both how the watch works and how to disassemble the mechanism. A few photos of my progress with the disassembly. Hopefully I’ll be able to put it all back afterwards.
    46298E37-1253-4937-92E2-5D0B48A47F2C.png E0018E94-B9DB-4913-9AF9-47ACCED3C034.png D800B82F-F010-42B5-B4FE-90E699EE7CC3.png

7. ChrisN Feb 24, 2019

Well done. You've started with a nice big simple calibre which is definitely the right way. You'll get good and bad days and when the latter happen, walk away for 24 hours and come back refreshed.

Interesting to see your progress.

Cheers, Chris

connieseamaster, KingCrouchy and COYI like this.
  8. Lovewatches2 Feb 24, 2019

Wow, keep up the good work @Croc & keep us posted on your progress!
    Good luck on your study! ::book::

9. Pvt-Public Feb 26, 2019

Don't do as I did. Do Not drink a quart of coffee before starting. ::facepalm2:: Had the shakes almost as bad as coming off a 2 day bender.

Lovewatches2 and Njnjcfp88 like this.
  10. Croc Mar 3, 2019

Thanks for the advice, taking a step back when things aren’t going well is always a good idea. As for the coffee, yes the shakes definitely wouldn’t help, tricky enough as it is! Managed to fully disassemble the movement this weekend, only leaving the Incabloc in place. They advise not to try this until you have disassembled a movement several times and have a little bit more experience as it’s a fiddly job and seeing the video I agree. A few scratches along the way, but nothing too major so far and that’s why I got a cheap movement. Next up to see if I can manage to put it all back and working again! At the very least I now have a much better idea of what everything is and how it works.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  11. Lovewatches2 Mar 3, 2019

I admire your courage/interest in watchmaking. Keep up the good work and as always good luck!

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2019

Good to see you're enjoying it.
    :thumbsup:
    Once you've mastered re-assembling your ETA clone, buy a real ETA movement. You'll be able to that one with your eyes shut.
    (Unless of course your clone is a high quality one, but most of them aren't and can be a PITA to get back together).

13. Croc Jun 5, 2019

Finally found the time to reassemble the movement. It’s now all back together and surprisingly seems to be working fine!

Wasn’t too bad, again was easy to follow instructions, but learnt not to over tighten, managed to snap the head off the click screw, but still works, just need to hold down the click whilst winding (and not turn it upside down). Also quite a few more scratches, whilst reassembling. Fortunately was using a cheap Chinese clone so no big deal.

Course was a nice introduction and I learnt quite a bit, plus got an appreciation for how everything works.

C95B6D42-2494-41D2-8031-9DD5BC74106D.jpeg
  14. reb00ted Feb 6, 2023

Don't want to reanimate an old thread but... have you continued to practice the hobby? Was it worth the price lesson wise?

15. Croc Feb 6, 2023

Still continue to practice, even though less than I used to. Can’t say I’d ever trust myself to service a proper watch, but it’s interesting and for me it was worth the cost just to get a better understanding of how everything works. Having done a couple of manual and automatic movements plan is to try a chronograph next.

DaveK likes this.
  16. sheepdoll Feb 6, 2023

Nice to see that there is interest in self maintnece.

The one disadvantage with a corespondence/online course, is there is no one to correct one from self learned mistakes. I mostly learned from books and such, but in the early days 25 or more years ago I did have friends and tutors (Mentors.) To advise. (edit: sometimes it seems like riding a bycycle. Once you have learned the basics, you can do it again after a long absence.)

I am so thankful here we have @Archer and others to point out some of the modern practices and changes that have happened in the last few decades. Not quite the same as having an in person to talk to. Still it is inspiring.

DaveK likes this.
  17. RevZMan123 Feb 6, 2023

I actually just started this same class. I'm about 5 sessions in and am on reinstalling the keyless works. I like his teaching style and everything is highly detailed. You have to buy your own stuff now but it's still fun. I bought all 3 of his courses at a 30% discount. Basic training, chronograph, and a deeper master class.

I'm learning a lot so far but as many know I'm still augmenting that with my own reading of Henry Fried's books, going through the watch escapement page by page, drawing by drawing. It's very deep and inspiring from a deep mechanical engineering perspective.

DaveK, Scarecrow Boat and sheepdoll like this.
  18. Geezer Feb 6, 2023

I can't say I have any experience with this course, but I have met Christian Lass (the maker of the course) on several occasions and he is a nice guy and a very knowledgeable watchmaker.

I think he is now mainly focusing on his work as an independent watchmaker. You can follow it on Instagram at: https://www.instagram.com/christian_lass/

RevZMan123 likes this.
  19. RevZMan123 Feb 7, 2023

Ye
    Yes, I have been following him there as well. He also has a Facebook group for his students which his account is still active. Not sure if it's him or a media manager, but it seems to be him approving new members and replying to questions. They don't happen often, but they're seemingly available.