Forums Latest Members

One-Owner 145.012 with Personalised engraving added value or not??

1. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

I've just bought a 145.012-67 SP with a date engraved on the Case Back. Usually engraving on a watch detracts from the value but in this case I think it adds to the value: Reason being that the same date is engraved on the clasp of the excellent condition1039/516 bracelet. It fits the overall impression that this watch is in its original and unpolished state. Every last part is correct for the reference and I believe original to the watch, including the flat-foot crown and even the crystal! ::rimshot:: The movement looks to be in great shape too. I've ordered an Extract of the Archives.

There is one single date scratched in the case back in 1983. I believe this was the only service and the only time something went wrong: The hands were all painted with a thick white paint ::facepalm1:: At least the watchmaker didn't scratch all the movement screws. There's not a lot of lume left on the plots either so I think I'll have this serviced, dial and hands re-lumed and wear it !

Please tell me what you think of this personal engraving which was made just 40 days prior to the first steps on the moon when Michael Collins was wearing his 145.012!

EDIT: Turns out this is a one-owner watch! I got this message back from the seller in Spain giving me some more info on the watch. Why I even got a hug! Needles in the text are the hands which I commented on because of the white painting. The dealer I bought it from will send my e-mail to the son of the previous owner. If I get further updated I'll post them here:

"Hello, I'm glad to hear from you.
    This watch was bought from a man from Salamanca, his son sold it to me.
    They gave it to the father for his wedding.
    Bought in a jewelry store in Salamanca many years ago by this man.

And to this day a single owner. We bought it three weeks ago.
    I hope what I enjoy and about the needles ... they came to us like that.

Thank you very much for everything and a hug."

EDIT 20/6/18: Extract came back confirming export to Spain August 13 1968 (ilovemyspeedmaster.com was 2 months off)

IMG_7276.jpg IMG_7272.jpg IMG_7284.jpg IMG_7271.jpg IMG_7265.jpg IMG_7311.jpg

Edited Jun 20, 2018
    89-0 and Jones in LA like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 1, 2018

In my opinion it adds nothing. But it is not something that detracts by much.

BTW, who is to say this was not engraved 3 years ago? Is there even anything backing up that it was done at that date? Honestly, I could take my '67 and have a 'special' date inscribed on it, and hope that down the road someone would think it made the watch more valuable, but I seriously doubt it would have any sort of positive impact.

3. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

I guess someone could have had the watch and bracelet inscribed much later as you say. However I do believe this is highly unlikely. Anyway thanks for your opinion! Keep them coming.....

4. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 1, 2018

it adds absolutely nothing cuz:
    a) it's only a date
    b) not related to anything

let's skip the chapter of condition

eugeneandresson and cristos71 like this.
  5. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2018

::facepalm2::

Delbok, Baz9614, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

So far only 3 negative comments. Anybody like the date on watch and bracelet?

Vintagewtchzilla likes this.
  7. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 1, 2018

3 out of 3

you like the pain huh ?

8. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2018

If it's put there by the factory in an unassuming place? Sure!

9. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

I don't mind at all if other people have different opinions to me. It would be interesting to hear whether there are others like me out there..........

10. OWa Jun 1, 2018

Congratulations for your new purchase. It’s a nice looking watch. Wear it in good health.
    I like the date on the braclet but I would prefer a case back without a date. It’s nice that the braclet appears to be period correct, but I also don‘t think that the date on the case back adds any value. You do have a valuable watch though.

Cheers

maxbelg likes this.
  11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 1, 2018

Give it time. This is an international forum, and at any given moment 1/3 of the members are asleep and only 1/3 are at work playing on forums :D

Dash1, Candle00, Baz9614 and 3 others like this.
  12. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

Thanks for your opinion stated in a nice positive way!

13. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 1, 2018

14. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

-I don't MIND that there are different opinions, they INTEREST me.
    -Others who, like me, think that an old date inscribed on case and bracelet add to the overall package.

15. ICONO Jun 1, 2018

Correction

1/3 are asleep

1/3 are at Work, playing on the Forums

1/3 are just playing, with themselves

16. Dan S Jun 1, 2018

I can like an engraving that tells a story. A date alone isn't appealing to me personally. Just my opinion.

Vintagewtchzilla likes this.
  17. Philou Jun 1, 2018

No, sorry but for me the engraved date adds nothing, it's even a bit distracting on the clasp

18. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2018

Hey guys, check THIS out.... One of our stores bought a new stapler the Monday after the Philadelphia Eagles won Super Bowl 52, and it's engraved with L I I on it! That must make it more valuable!

Stapler.jpg
    LII.jpg

::facepalm2:: :p

19. maxbelg Jun 1, 2018

I'm afraid it's the unfriendly 1/3 awake on the forums at this time...... Keep it coming anyway!

Nobel Prize and BenBagbag like this.
  20. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 1, 2018

i had once a watch with a name, a very cryptic number combo and a country name engraved. it took me 8 month to figure out what is meant and i found on this way also the seller of the watch who got it from the first owner. was pretty fun but it added 0 value