Forums Latest Members

One of Not Many... Vacheron Constantin Quai de L‘Ile

1. munichblue Jun 6, 2020

First of all, I am aware that the Quai de L’Ile is a watch that not everyone likes straight away. When I saw her for the first time, she hit me like a bomb. It is above all the design of the case that immediately captivated me. When it comes to the dial, I have minor points of criticism, but I find the shapes of the lugs, the cushion case and the round bezel, the change between the polished and satin surfaces to be something unique and extraordinarily successful in the world of haute horology. I can't judge whether it appeals to others like me, but in any case this design brings a lot of variety to the other monotony of the mainstream, which leads to a watch that is so elegant to be worn with a suit but still sporty enough to be worn to match jeans and polo shirt.

D3E7B903-1728-4CA6-AC6E-BEB1A3B1A504.jpeg

But first let's get to the characteristics of the Quai de L’Ile. In the previous series of the QdL, the movement 2460QH was used and I am pleasantly surprised that the Quai de L‘Ile has now almost the same manufacture movement as the Overseas (5001/1). The only difference is the rotor, which was not made in 22k gold, but in tungsten. But I think this greyish shiny material fits very well with the entire retro industrial design of the Quai de L’Ile. Since not only the case, but also the movement was manufactured according to the requirements of the Geneva seal, the workmanship is of course once again very attractive and at the highest level.

216FECCE-3F0E-4303-9C34-0E872745CC7C.jpeg

Overall, I find the design of the dial very successful and harmonious, it offers variety and exudes a vintage / sporty charm, if you know what I mean. And above all, it fits very well with the secret (at least for me) star of the watch, with the wonderful and unusual case.

8F33D0B8-9A14-4F27-9370-13C829075408.jpeg

To put it straight away: the case is obviously the outstanding aesthetic feature of the Quai de L’Ile. The base is a pillow shape with a round bezel. In addition there are these extraordinary lugs, which give this watch an appearance like a marriage of art-deco and industrial lines.

2FB3B55C-8A43-457F-8B4A-CA2FBA4E5527.jpeg

DE82D37C-A10B-4B76-9119-C626D11FE4FE.jpeg

In addition to the design of the shapes, Vacheron Constantin naturally convinces with the play between the different surface treatments and the transitions. The side flanks are beautifully designed to kneel down and due to the relatively short lugs, the watch nestles amazingly elegantly on my wrist despite its 41mm. And if the advantages of stainless steel combine aesthetically with the quality of design and workmanship, then I could just celebrate it for hours.

84A7867D-71AE-4BD8-9BE5-16CCE1D2050C.jpeg

As I said, I experience this watch as a very successful, because very subtle mix of modern and vintage style elements. And this is where this outstanding case makes a particular contribution. As you can see at this point at the latest, I am completely enthusiastic about the Quai de L’Ile.

6D88B6F5-3721-4019-8059-2D575CDA66AE.jpeg

Uniqez, Spruce, texasmade and 7 others like this.
  2. Robbie77 Jun 6, 2020

Beautiful watch.

munichblue likes this.
  3. TimeODanaos Jun 6, 2020

To me, the dial is unworthy of this exalted level - chacun à son goût. But the case is one of the best I have ever seen - just superb.

munichblue likes this.
  4. texasmade Jun 13, 2020

I really like the line but the only thing that bugged me was the really weak water resistance for something that came with a rubber band to swap with. I think VC has updated the watch with a better WR recently though.

munichblue likes this.
  5. Evitzee Jun 13, 2020

This was VC's attempt to capture a younger clientele at the appropriate price point. It that regard it's a pretty good attempt. Case design is interesting and different, dial is sporty yet sober. Quality movement. It has a lot going for it.

munichblue likes this.
  6. munichblue Jun 18, 2020

Yep, actually it’s 10 bar now.

7. Gamma Jun 25, 2020

Nice write up, you also captured and highlighted a few details I hadn’t noticed. I tried the watch on at a dealer last year or so as I really liked photos I had seen and wanted to like it. But when I tried it on it just didn’t sing to me personally. I had a similar experience with the JLC reverso

munichblue likes this.
  8. dinexus Jul 6, 2020

The titanium Quai de l'Ile is one of my favorite watches of all time – really just wish they could do it with a closed dial (and sans text) like the steel variant. Agree about the amazing case though – there's simply nothing else out there like it.

[​IMG]

Stripey likes this.
  9. Stripey Jul 6, 2020

I like that better - more interesting.