One Non-Collector’s Perspective

One of my closest friends, this guy is like a brother, asked me for a “baseball glove” strap for his favorite watch. He asked that I take the watch because he did not know how to remove the old damaged rubber strap.

The watch. A gigantic Invicta. Solid watch. I had never seen one in person. I see the occasional one on the forum. Well made but so big!

I had a look of hesitation… “what’s wrong?” Said my friend.

“You really want a baseball strap for this thing? I have brand new rubber straps that will fit it well” I said.

“You don’t understand” he said. “I want one of your straps and I want it on this watch”.

I mentioned (above) that we are like brothers. We are always honest with each other.

“Collectors frown at such big watches and at Invictas”. I said.

“Well, I am not a collector…” he replied. “Will you make a strap for me?”

He is right, of course. As a big man, he will wear this very well and paying a thousand dollars for a watch is something he will never do.

I sent him photos of the finished product and he loves it.

He retires in five weeks (he was a colleague). I should get him a Seiko. Do you have similar stories?
Edited:

You are a true gentleman, sir, as is your friend. May we all be so fortunate as to have such good people in our lives.

One of my closest friends, this guy is like a brother, asked me for a “baseball glove” strap for his favorite watch. He asked that I take the watch because he did not know how to remove the old damaged rubber strap.

The watch. A gigantic Invicta. Solid watch. I had never seen one in person. I see the occasional one on the forum. Well made but so big!

I had a look of hesitation… “what’s wrong?” Said my friend.

“You really want a baseball strap for this thing? I have brand new rubber straps that will fit it well” I said.

“You don’t understand” he said. “I want one of your straps and I want it on this watch”.

I mentioned (above) that we are like brothers. We are always honest with each other.

“Collectors frown at such big watches and at Invictas”. I said.

“Well, I am not a collector…” he replied. “Will you make a strap for me?”

He is right, of course. As a big man, he will wear this very well and paying a thousand dollars for a watch is something he will never do.

I sent him photos of the finished product and he loves it.

He retires in five weeks (he was a colleague). I should get him a Seiko. Do you have similar stories?

🙄 I couldn’t find the emoji with the halo

I want to like and dislike this at the same time, but the strap is just too nice not to like it. 😀

One of my closest friends, this guy is like a brother...

As a big man, he will wear this very well...

Heartwarming story and a nice strap!

Also, I found a pic of you guys online. No wonder your friend can wear an Invicta no problem!

1200px-Andr%C3%A9_the_Giant_in_the_late_%2780s.jpg

That strap is SUPER cool with its inscriptions!!! Kudos to you and it’s a very heart warming story.
Beware about gifting him a Seiko, it’s a very nice thought, but if he loves this Invicta would he think you’re belittling what he likes?

It may be a significant amount of money for him, and maybe he would rather you spend the money on something else! Maybe tickets for a nice trip or a special experience with someone he loves?

I have a similar story not exactly the same context but a friend with no specific interest in watches but getting into it because of my interest. I gifted him the below Seiko in 2020. He is quite happy with it.