Forums Latest Members

One new modern watch - any brand

1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 26, 2013

Hi all,
    Over the next 6 months I am likely to be able to buy ONE new/modern watch, of any brand. If you could only get one, what would you recommend, and why? (And photos). Up till now, I've been looking at the Skyfall AT or the steel and gold bezel 39mm AT. I'd never looked at much else, mainly because I didn't think I could afford much more. Now I can.....

By way of guidance, I don't usually like big/thick/chunky watches. I have thin wrists and even a Speedy Pro looks big on it [​IMG]

The sort of vintage watches I like are the, Centenary, pie pans, classic 2 register dress chronos like the cal 320.

Look forward to suggestions!
    Thanks
    Daniel

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2013

I think the mid size Aqua Terra 8500 in blue is where its at, in terms of competitors, if you stretched it a bit, a Zenith Striking Tenth is an amazing piece with a brilliant movement (http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/7...the-zenith-el-primero-striking-tenth-chr.html) alternatively if you're into them, a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Moon Ultrathin in steel is brilliant and the perfect size. A GO PML might be an interesting option too.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 26, 2013

So, for people who don't know these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.fratellowatches.com/the-sophisticated-jaeger-lecoultre-master-moon/

I like the Zenith, not a fan of the others.
    As far as stretching goes, I'd be prepared to double the cost of a 38.5mm AT

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2013

5. ulackfocus Sep 26, 2013

If you're only going to get one modern watch get one with complications. I'd endorse the GO PML or the JLC tc/mp with pointer date you show above. Has the day/date version of the AT come out yet? I like the 37 mm reissue of the Zenith A386 too.

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 26, 2013

38mm:D

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 26, 2013

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2013

He's asking 8k, you might do a bit better than that, not hugely though.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 26, 2013

So far, this is winning. I've really enjoyed the a386s over on the zenith forum, so this appeals. If the modern pie pan was decent, that could have been a winner also.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2013

I owned the original version of the Master Moon for many years, and it was a great watch - 37 mm and very balanced dial compared to the Master Calendar that replaced it around 2007 or so. Note that service on this watch from JLC will run you well over a grand. Here is a shot of mine, now gone....

[​IMG]

You can probably pick one of the versions like mine used in SS for about $4K or so, maybe less.

I would also look at other JLC offerings - as a watch enthusiast they are probably my favourite major brand. As a watchmaker not so much, since they refuse to sell parts to independent watchmakers.

In the GO line, the PML is certainly popular, but it does nothing for me. I like it in photos, but in person it is a let down every time. I have the PanoReserve, and I love it.

[​IMG]

Both JLC and GO will give you pretty good bang for your buck. I have owned 2 JLC's and the one GO and they have all been great performers.

I would say for finish, GO is a slight notch above the level of JLC has at these lower price points:

[​IMG]

Even the dial detail is extremely well done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO also has some other nice watches, but any one I would consider would have to have the big date. IMO it's the best big date out there, and simply blows away what other brands do.

Good luck in your hunt.

Cheers, Al

epl108 and Trev like this.
  11. NT931 Sep 26, 2013

Hey Daniel,
    I have even skinnier wrists (6.3") so I know how you feel. I'd second the vote for the midsize Skyfall AT; I have the midsize (38.5mm) grey AT and the size / fit is great. It is a little thick though.

Besides the JLC Master Moon, would you consider the Master Ultra Thin at 38mm and 6.3mm? (since you're not keen on chunky watches). Or perhaps the newer RDM at 39mm amd 9.5mm? (there's an older RDM at 37mm too).

12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 26, 2013

I'm with Al about JLC and GO. I like the Zenith reissues but would save my A386 money for an A386. I love the Master Moon Ultra Thin, probably because it looks like it could have been produced in 1957. Those Big Date GO's, on the other hand, are clearly modern classics... timeless design, but of this age. So you really check off the modern box in your collection... and the German box. I went into a watch shop once intending to buy a PanoMaticLunar, but fell in love with this by accident...

[​IMG]

No regrets... but I still want a PML. :)

You should do the same... go to a big, high-end dealer, try everything on and fall in love with something. What the hell, it's a new watch we're talking about... available now, in stores... go, go... what are you waiting for? ;)

cicindela, STANDY and Hijak like this.
  13. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 26, 2013

Agree with GO as you get bang for the buck. German watches are no less inferior than Swiss. May stretch your budget a bit but this is my favourite GO, the PanoInverse XL.
    glashutte-original-panoinverse-xl-620x464.png

14. Hijak Sep 26, 2013

That is one handsome timepiece!:thumbsup: Looks like it stepped right out of the fifties, just beautiful.::love::

15. ulackfocus Sep 26, 2013

Angel / alam's post in the WRUW thread reminded me to throw IWC into the mix.

16. OrangeSport Sep 26, 2013

For me? A rose gold Sky Dweller or yellow gold GMT. With a green face, might not be right for you though....

17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 26, 2013

One of these might be just the right size?

P1160252.JPG
    Noisy Nova and cicindela like this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2013

With a 269 it qualifies for both modern and vintage. :thumbsup:

19. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 26, 2013

Great catch! P1180272.JPG I left some of the original plastic on this wonderful exhibition case.

dxholdren likes this.
  20. robzilla Sep 26, 2013

It is a gorgeous watch and i tracked one down in Singapore after not being able to find it in London. It was on my buy list for ages, though was really dissapointed when i tried it on. Both myself, my girlfiend and even the salesman where less than blown away. Funny how some watches you can love when you see them in the window, but once you try it on it simply doesnt suit. On GO, the moonphase (panomatic lunar?) is also a great looking watch.

To the OP: My gf worked at an Omega boutique and i remember her telling me that nearly every guy had a wrist size inferiority complex. Half her job was trying to convince guys that their wrist size was normal. The general rule is that the lugs shouldnt be wider than your wrist. I would pick a Speedy Pro over the Skyfall. For a formal watch, +1 for the JLC Ultrathin moon.