Forums Latest Members
  1. Spike Jul 7, 2014

Hi Chaps,

I guess this question goes out to the Speedmaster guys...............

My brother in law was bought this Speedmaster Pro brand new from an Omega store in London (UK) in 1971 by his father and he has worn it everyday since then (apart from when it has been back for servicing by Omega regularly over the years)

Although obviously showing its age in places as a daily wearer would after 45 years of regular use he still has all that came with it in 1971 including the original sales receipt.

I know that he has no intention of selling but realising that I now have this new interest in watches he has asked me the $64,000 question "what's it worth if I did sell it"?

Could I ask you guys for an idea on that as I know Jack Sh**............

Cheers

Mike Omega 1.JPG Omega 2.JPG Omega 3.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2014

If it were serviced and in good order, under $2k but not that much below $2k

3. Dash1 Jul 7, 2014

The original box and papers will certainly help.

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 7, 2014

I'd say closer to $2,500, maybe a bit more. The bracelet, paperwork, and stepped dial are plusses for an otherwise common variation with a need for service.

5. Unwound Jul 7, 2014

Given the known family history, it will always be worth more on your wrist than someone else.

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. Davidt Jul 7, 2014

From what I've seen, vintage speedmasters sell for slightly more in the UK than the US. Supply and demand I guess.

I remember a similar one being for sale on eBay a few months ago. Early 70's with the common caseback engraving, along with the original docs, receipt and box. I think that went for around £1700.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 7, 2014

From the look of the pushers it has been recently serviced, and properly - thats just a hunch, obviously, and helped by the OP saying that it has been regularly serviced. So a knowledgeable bidder would bid higher - if he wanted it.

The thing is, it will always have a worn case - I like it, but it is worth less than a pristine, or even just good case - but as I have seen written and said often myself, this is a common reference that regularly trades for sub $2000 in the states, and £1200-1700 in the UK.

I am no expert on bracelets, but this one does not look like the ones I see fitted. 640 endlinks are new to me.

Box and correct papers will add to the ease of sale, and possibly the price - depending on what exactly they are and in what condition.

8. Spike Jul 7, 2014

Thanks all for the feedback, I shall pass it all on, it's much appreciated.

I believe this is the original bracelet bought with the watch, unless of course something happened to the original one which I am unaware of but I doubt it, he would have mentioned it I'm sure.

I also like the fact that it shows signs of wear as it has been worn on a daily basis and I'm sure he will continue to enjoy wearing something that has become a part of him for the last 42 odd years.......

Sometimes I wonder if we ever need more than one watch if the first one is special to us?

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 7, 2014

Wonder no more!
    The answer is yes. We need more than one watch. All circumstances considered.
    ;)

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. sulaco Jul 8, 2014

640 are the common endlinks for the 1175, wonder if they would fit on a 1039, because they look basically the same.:thumbsdown:

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 8, 2014

JohnSteed likes this.
  12. sulaco Jul 8, 2014

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2014

Is the 1175 a current service part or is it a no longer produced bracelet?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 8, 2014

1175 bracelet is no longer available.

15. Littleroger Jul 8, 2014

Of course, I have an 1175 with end links available if there is interest.... ;-)

16. JohnSteed Jul 8, 2014

Safe to say, nobody regular to OF has one watch :whistling:

17. Spike Oct 31, 2016

Hi guys,

I'm bumping this old post as I had a call from my brother-in-law last night wanting some more help from me.......I need to pass this on to one of the 'speedy' guys/sellers for help if at all possible.

Seems that this original watch of his is being coveted by his 2 sons (he was intending to leave a gold Omega to his eldest son (as it was his fathers) and this one to his younger son but both would rather have this Speedy when the fateful day actually arrives...many years from now we hope!

So he'd like to buy another 1971 Speedmaster (or close to that date as possible) so they can both have one!

He's not fussed about it being 'all original' as long as it looks as it should for an early 70's model. He'd just like it to look the same as far as the dial configuration is concerned but isn't so concerned about the specifics of the movement.

He's asking me how much it might cost him and could I put some feelers out in case anyone is looking to sell something that fits the bill. He is based in Toronto, Canada.

Does anyone have anything they may be looking to sell or advice on a price he should be paying if he does find one himself??

Cheers!

Spike:thumbsup:

18. timestamp Oct 31, 2016

If the last time you read up on Speedmaster prices was over two years ago when this thread started, better sit down before researching further... ;)

oddboy likes this.
  19. Baz9614 Oct 31, 2016

The bracelet in the bottom pic looks like a flat link 1039, and the other two pics appear to have a newer bracelet?

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 31, 2016

US $3,000-4,500 depending on condition and goodies included.