Forums Latest Members

On the parcel from overseas, red label imprinted X-RAY

1. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2012

Respectable Members

A friend of mine has just bought a beautiful vintage Longines Conquest 18k watch, from Switzerland. Apparently, it is a one owner watch and prior to closing the deal, the owner informed my friend, the watch had not been worn or serviced, for the past several years.

When the parcel arrived this morning, there is a round red label imprinted 'X-RAY', presumably affixed by the customs. After giving this automatic watch, 30 or so turns of the winding-crown, he put the beauty on his wrist.

To his dismay, the watch is running + 18 minutes, in one hour. He is just wondering, whether the customs 'X-ray' has magnetized his watch movement or because the watch is really in need of a service.

Thank you.

cicindela likes this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 30, 2012

I'd speculate that any bumps the package was subjected to along the journey would be more likely to make a difference than the X-ray machine.

It's generally agreed that X-ray machines (like they use in airports) don't make any difference these days. There's many accounts of frequent flyers subjecting their watches to X-rays quite often while still keeping very accurate time.

It probably just needs to be serviced :) You could always have the watch degaussed to be sure.

3. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2012

Respectable Member Trev

Thanks for your response and also the information.

I shall ask him to bring the watch to his watchmaker and get it degaussed first and subsequently regulated. If the time-keeping still goes like a rocket, most likely he may have to service it. What do you think?

Thank-you.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2012

I'd service it anyway, its not a junker watch, an 18k Longines Conquest is a superb piece and that movement deserves proper care before being used.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Thanks for your response and advice.

He is taking the watch to his watchmaker and I have advised him, not to use the watch, till it has been degaussed and also, serviced.

Thank-you.