Forums Latest Members

On the hunt for a tuxedo dial Memovox

1. barbecoa Jul 23, 2019

Hello!

For whatever reason, as I've started indulging my interest in watches, I've found myself more and more drawn to vintage watches. I'm not sure why. I think it's some combination of the excitement of hunting for them, finding unique watches, and the general look/aesthetic of the watches.

Recently, I've become interested in finding a black/white, tuxedo dial Memovox. I just love the look because a tuxedo dial is so distinctive, and I'm drawn to the quirkiness/functionality of a Memovox. These are pics of the type I'm looking for.

[​IMG]
    What a beauty! I love the tuxedo dial and the warmth of the white. It's almost like mother of pearl. I also like how striking the indices are, with the little circle markers. The lugs are nice and refined looking too. Very elegant.

[​IMG]
    This one's great too. I love the speckled white center. It's like an ostrich egg. I also like the hands of this one more, which serve to make the dial a little more striking to me.

Until I find one I love, I'm going to keep looking and would like to post the ones I find interesting and get everyone's thoughts. It seems like that is the best way to learn about a particular type of watch, especially from this forum which is full of really knowledgeable people.

This is one that I found pretty interesting.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SERVICED-J...ANICAL-ALARM-WRISTWATCH-WITH-BOX/293090050909Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    I like the stick indices more than I like the dagger ones, but this one seems interesting. I wish it were more "black and white," and I wish it had the small minute markers, which add depth to the dial.

What do you guys think of this one in terms of quality, the type, etc? Are there things I should be on the look out for when getting a vintage Memovox? I've gone through the forum and read the posts about them (and the Hodinkee article), but any advice and insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DaveK likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 24, 2019

That last one is absolutely horrible, a franken-watch with mis-matched hands and dial furniture (I don't think the hands are from a Memovox), a terribly repainted outer dial, a repainted (or fake) inner dial, and an over-polished case. Garbage.

The first one is also pretty bad, over-polished with various replacement parts.

barbecoa likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 24, 2019

I’ve seen these in all black and all white. Not sure that these watches ever came with that “tuxedo” configuration.

It is very easy to replace the center disk. This is why I can never understand the huge premiums for the parking meter and other specialty Memovox dials.

It is almost impossible to know which combinations were factory correct. This is especially true for the US market LeCoultre pieces, as many references were never cataloged.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

barbecoa and Dan S like this.
  4. barbecoa Jul 25, 2019

Thanks for the responses!

@Dan S I agree, the first one has some weird looking parts, particularly the second hand. I did think the lugs, though, were supposed to be more rounded and curved, but going forward I'll make sure to check if it's because it's been over-polished.

I also, see what you mean on the last watch w/ the repainted outer dial. I wouldn't have been able to detect the fake Memovox hands, so thank you for pointing that out.

@gatorcpa That's very interesting that the tuxedo configuration may not be a real design. That would severely change my opinion on them, so I'll look into that as I continue reading about them.

5. Vitezi Jul 25, 2019

If you're interested in Memovoxii, consider researching vintage advertisements and catalogs as a place to start. WatchProSite has a dedicated JLC forum with threads on vintage ads and catalogs showcasing the Memovox models at various points in time.

DaveK and barbecoa like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jul 25, 2019

It's a redial, but other than that it is ok. The hands should have lume on the tips and are common on early memovoxes.

barbecoa and Dan S like this.
  7. barbecoa Jul 25, 2019

@Vitezi Wow. That site has a treasure trove of material. Thanks for the link! - From looking through that and Blomman's own site, it does appear that a two-tone, black outside and white inside, "tuxedo" dial does not exist. It's incredible how some people post them, give a ref number to show validity, and describe it as "ultra rare"... But I've definitely caught the Memovox bug and will continue my research. Thanks again!

Vitezi likes this.
  8. aprax Jul 26, 2019

How about... Memovoces?

TimeODanaos and Vitezi like this.
  9. barbecoa Aug 6, 2019

Just wanted to close the loop here to do what I can to contribute to our collective wisdom.

1) First, thanks to everyone who replied to this post. You were all super helpful, and I learned (and continue to learn) a lot!

2) It appears that JLC likely did NOT make a two-tone, black-white, "tuxedo" dial Memovox. I believe all the ones that are being sold are mods that switch a black and white/silver Memovox dial, or are repainted dials.

3) It looks like the closest that JLC made was this white-blue, two-tone Memovox. Specifically a "Jaeger-LeCoultre E 875 Memovox Two Tone."

I think it looks great, but it's not the black outer and white inner dial that I was originally thinking of.
    [​IMG]

4) https://blommanwatchreport.com/
    This site has a lot of cool stuff about JLC Memovoxes and other watches. I've also emailed back and forth with Blomman, and he's super nice, responsive, and helpful.

BUT, if anyone does find evidence that a black-white, two-tone Memovox exists, please let me know! :)

Edited Aug 6, 2019
    Shabbaz and Vitezi like this.
  10. Vitezi Aug 6, 2019

barbecoa likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 6, 2019

barbecoa likes this.
  12. budgewink Aug 9, 2019

If you like that dial style so much have you checked out Omega 30t2 bullseye? there are some very attractive manual wind dressy pieces that fit in with this style.

barbecoa likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 9, 2019

barbecoa likes this.
  14. apsm100 applysome! Aug 9, 2019

15. barbecoa Aug 13, 2019

Thanks for putting me onto this. I do really like that look and like how they do that ring just around the numbers. I will take it into consideration!

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 13, 2019

There are bullseye LeCoultre’s also.

77E523B2-7230-4754-B9E4-EE45D1E3FB2E.jpeg 7EA81213-26F7-489B-BFDD-4AE211CCA932.jpeg

This one is unusual in that it has an 18K gold US made case. It took me 10 years to find the one on the bottom after seeing the one on top.
    gatorcpa

apsm100, cristos71 and barbecoa like this.
  17. barbecoa Aug 13, 2019

I love how that bullseye is done. GREAT find. Worth the 10 years looking for it. I bet there's a great story behind it!

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 13, 2019

Not much of a story. Saw two other examples in 10 years. One at a ridiculously high buy-it-now that I passed on and the other one you see above.

I made the seller an offer to end that second auction early and they turned me down. Ended up winning auction for little more than half my offer (and less than melt value).
    gatorcpa

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 14, 2019

apsm100 and barbecoa like this.
  20. barbecoa Aug 14, 2019

@gatorcpa That's still a good story. That's incredible you got it below commodity value. Unreal.

@Tony C. Thanks for the link. Nice looking piece. It's cool to see that full sets can still be had for (relatively) affordable prices. Which one do you have?