Forums Latest Members

On the care and feeding of a chronograph

1. midcentury Oct 6, 2018

Hi folks,

I've just purchased my first mechanical watch, which is also my first chronograph. :)

image2.jpeg

I want to make sure I do everything I can to take care of the movement, especially the chronograph. While I do know there are some obvious DON'T'S, like 'don't push both buttons simultaneously' and 'don't you DARE push the reset button while the chrono is in motion,' I wanted to see if there are any other less obvious mistakes one should avoid.

Also, how long is it safe to run the chronograph? I've heard some people say that running it a lot leads to more wear and tear, but others have said that not using it often enough leads to loss of lubrication.

Finally, my chrono minutes hand looks like it "prepares" to advance around :58 or :59, and then clicks over maybe a quarter to a half second early. (Maybe?) It's not like I'm timing rocket engine burns with this thing, so I'm not gonna be too persnickety. Rather I'm curious about what to expect from this movement (1861 in a FOIS), etc.

Edit: found the other threads about this little issue with the chrono minute hand. Very interesting. Not something I'm going to worry until it's time for service (assuming it doesn't change).

Please set me straight! :)

Thanks.

Edited Oct 6, 2018
  2. Canuck Oct 6, 2018

People who sweat the business of chronograph sub dial counter hands that advance a fraction of a second out of step with the other hands are probably more familiar with the equivalent functions of quartz chronographs. Or perhaps even digital chronograph functions. These digitals are computers, not watches. In this regard, was there ever a mechanical chronograph produced that could duplicate what an electronic chronograph can do?

I won’t comment on the “care and feeding” of a chronograph. I have several mechanical chronographs, but wear them so seldom, that in my lifetime, they will never wear out.

midcentury and Foo2rama like this.
  3. midcentury Oct 6, 2018

To be fair: https://omegaforums.net/threads/int...sue-with-my-trilogy-speedy.72830/#post-920470