Forums Latest Members

On creating a junior WIS...

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Feb 15, 2014

My only male progeny is a really good kid. He attends one of the famous specialized NYC high schools, is an exceptional student and a top notch athlete. So good, he was just made co-captain for the wrestling team which just won the city championship (((beaming))) :) The outgoing captain received a 4 year ride to Stanford under the cover of an academic scholarship. We have high hopes.

He's curious about engineering and all things mechanical so I decided to give him an automatic watch along with a copy of "Practical Watch Repairing" by Donald DeCarle.

I was able to find a NOS 1969 Bulova "Whale Watch" which still had the original strap. Choosing the "right" watch for my son was a little more tricky than I thought. Didn't want to be 'that dad' who hands a 15 year old a Rolex. To each his own and bless your heart if you can afford to give a kid a dream watch but I feel my kids should work for their dreams plus we're not exactly Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Slim.

I purchased a new strap from Holben's (thanks for the recommendation, various members of this forum!). His first repair was a strap swap which he handled rather deftly.

So far, so good, as he really seems to be taking an interest in his new acquisition. Next up: a trip to my friend Steve from Tarrytown Jewelers for a simple COLA. I've been promised that he can supervise the service hahaha.

Are there any other parents here who have children or nieces/nephews, etc. interested in mechanical wrist watches? Any advice??

Still has the original tritium and it still works!

get-attachment.aspx.jpg bulova.jpg
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 15, 2014

Maybe pass down one of your own watches on a special occasion. When I was 13 and starting middle school my dad passed this one down to me. I always saw him wearing it and it was one of the watches that really got me into collecting. :) Sounds like he is already interested, just let him know it is an expensive hobby. :p

[​IMG]

citizenrich likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2014

The whale designates the Sea King line. Nice watch, especially as a starter. :thumbsup:

citizenrich likes this.