Forums Latest Members
  1. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

While lookin for a Centenary, I came across a 343 with officially certified on the dial. It looks like an Omega dial, but has anyone ever seen another one? I'm curious to hear other opinions and will post pics soon.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Yes, some 343 chronometres have officially certified on the dial and some don't. Some have seamaster on the dial and some don't.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

[​IMG]

Serial is 12.3XX.XXX on movement.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2012

This is one of the second series and the dial does appear to be correct from what I've seen.

Desmond would likely know for sure.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Very nice example that looks correct including having a nice original dial. And the case is sharp - an example to pursue if it is for sale.

6. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2012

What do you think market value is for a 2499 in that condition?

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Yep that is another question I had. The springbars are original as well. If I were to purchase this one, it would be my biggest Omega purchase. It would be one that I would keep and hold on for the future though.

[​IMG]

8. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2012

I'm going to get a screen grab of that to use against you when you put it up for sale. :D

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

$2000-2500 but would consider going above that - nicest one I've seen for sale in years plus it has he 343 which for me makes it more attractive than the earlier 2499s

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Unless I see one in pink...;)

The price would be over $3k, and the seller did state that it was one of the nicest that he has seen as well. Buying this would cut down my collection by 2 or 3 watches but it would be a keeper...

[​IMG]

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2012

Curious why as to why, when the 2499 28.10 JUB is considered the rarest of all the Centenary, with only 2000 pieces.

Is it the fascination with the RG regulator?

To quote Desmond:

"Any Omega Centenary is collectible; however it appears that the most sough-after Centenary models are the calibre 331 and calibre 341, most particularly the 28.10 RA PC JUB AM (calibre 341) because of the limited numbers produced. These are the scarcest of all of the Centenary models."

12. chiko7734 Dec 8, 2012

Well if you need to sell anything to fund this... I'll be waiting ;)
    Also, this looks like a really nice one!

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Disagree with Desmond on that one - the 343 is the more desirable movement IMO and in my experience is also less frequently seen in the 2499 as most of these movements were used in the seamaster.
    And Kyle for something this nice, going over 3k would not be totally out of line for this particular example.

14. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Alright thanks guys, I will take some time to think about this. Also, 12.3 serial would make it one of the last 2499s?

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Yes the last 2499s were powered by cal. 343s just as the last 2500s housed cal. 333s.

16. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Dec 9, 2012

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Mike :)

My understanding was the opposite and that was most of the 343s were earmarked for the second iteration of the Centenary, a few generic chronometres and the rest for the Seamaster, because of the immense popularity of the original subscription of the Jub 28.10s Centenary watch. I think a 343 in case 2518 is a much rarer proposition that a 343 in a 2499 as prices sometimes reflect. Of course, certainty is an option here and it's all about perceptions.

While 'Officially Certified' did and did not appear on the 2518 and the generic 2514, it is most unusual to see it appear on a 2499. When the controversy over Officially Certified erupted over the second gen. 2499s a number of years back there was a flurry of searches for an ad that showed Officially Certified and no-one, including myself, could find one. I recall John Diethelm saying that Centenary models pre-dated Officially Certified, but he may well have been referring to the 'real' Centenary models that were produced specifically to mark Omega's 100th birthday - the 28.10 JUB and the 30.10 JUB. It is documented that Omega decided to re-issue another batch of Centenary models in 1949 because of over-subscription by agencies and dealerships for the JUBs.

In a side conversation I was having with Kyle prior to the post I suggested that perhaps the Officially Certified dials could have been end of run and maybe marketed as Chronometers and not Centenarys.. In terms of collectibility, I would say that the 28.10 JUB is a must for any serious Centenary collector as it is one of the two 'original' centenary watches produced from late 1947 to mark Omega's centenary, and in my trawling around over the years I have found genuine examples very hard to find and quite expensive. A Centenary collector would want to have all iterations in his grasp including both the 30.10 original and 333 second gen. as well as the 343, but the two originals, arguably, would form the core of a collection. The 343 has its own cache because of the RG regulator and luxury cosmetic finish and its Seamaster association.

While I have a weakness for the 343 and have both 343 Centenarys and Seamasters, I've always thought it was over-rated horologically because of the potential of the RG to cause accuracy issues because of end shake turning the screw. Omega's great Teddington and Geneva competition winners had stick hands and in my opinion the Swan Neck offers a better regulation system.

Cheers

Desmond

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Wanted to add that we know 2 things for sure - 2000 of the 28.10 JUB and 5000 of the cal.343 were produced. All 2000 of the former went into case ref. 2499 while the 343 was used in several case ref. in different metals the most common one being ref. 2576. So for the 343 to be the main movement in case ref. 2499 there would have to be over 4000 produced making their production run similar to the 2500 but that isn't what I've seen - I see significantly more 2500s for sale than 2499s perhaps twice as many which I think represents roughly their original production numbers.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Desmond, I think you are spot on here. I have a copy of a 1950 Swiss Omega catalog (in English) that I digitally swiped from an eBay listing a few years ago. In that catalog there is an 18K watch with an identical dial to this Ref. 2499 without the Official Certified language. I think that this model probably existed in both standard and certified versions. This was not unusual at that time, particularly with the automatics. Anyway, here's the ad:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

19. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Dec 10, 2012

It adds to the knowledge base Gator - thanks!

Kyle also posted on Purist (smart guy Kyle is in seeking to broaden his search for diverse input - I think he is getting a very good education ;) ) and your ad ties in with the point at which Omega decided to send its watches to the BOs to be officially certified, said to be around 1951. A change in regulations meant that companies could not do in-house testing and call the watch a chronometer but had to send the movements to a third party. So, arguably, any watch movement produced prior to 1951 would not have the Officially Certified appellation but just chronometer and any movement produced after 1951 would have Officially Certified.

So Kyle's example may have come after the transition to BOs and may fit the speculation I made in my previous post. Omega appeared to have kept the 2500 and 2499 going in some form until the first release of the 2648 Constellation with cal 352 in early 1952. Sounds plausible to me. It may or may not have been called a Centenary but it's looking very much like a pre-Constellation. Case is even pretty muh the same as a 2648.

This also raises the issue of Omega dropping officially certified on the first cal 551 and 561 movements in 1959-61. I wonder if there was some relaxation of the rules in the late fifties only to be tightened up again. ULF, we need a Swiss German on this forum to do some research on industry regulation in the late fifties. Can you conjure up said person?

Regards

Desmond

20. ulackfocus Dec 10, 2012

Wish I could help Desmond. Research is the InvestiGator's department so maybe he can scare up something.

Oh, and the Zenith guys have some European connections so maybe they've heard of somebody who can assist.