Forums Latest Members

Omega's response to the 2021 36mm Rolex Explorer

1. DIV Apr 8, 2021

Well, they did it. Many hoped this would happen, but I don't think ANYONE thought Rolex would actually go backwards and shrink the Explorer back down to it's original 36mm size. I'm excited because I've had the 39 and it was nearly perfect...except for the size. Now I'm wearing a late model 36mm 114270 and I'm probably going go be flipping it for a 2021 Explorer. But before I do so, I'd love to see what (if anything) Omega does with it's Railmaster.
    I also own a Trilogy Railmaster and also love it, but just wish it were smaller.

Does anyone think Omega will follow suit with apparent trend to more classic sizes for such models?

thelinendial likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 8, 2021

Trilogy = historically sized (with historical cosmetic everything).
    New Explorer = historically sized.

Me thinks not. But it is fun to speculate. Now if only Rolex would fix the 3,6,9 font ...

thelinendial, Caliber561 and gnuyork like this.
  3. abgul Apr 8, 2021

Don't think Omega will go down that route. Omega don't really follow those type of trends.

4. maskwp Apr 8, 2021

I think Rolex introduced nothing that would be worth to follow... The 36mm Explorer is nice but I would have preferred the 39mm version which I didn't pick up a couple of years ago because I am no fan of the 3,6,9. Personally I think the best sizes are in the 38mm - 41mm range and there are plenty of nice Omega watches available. Trilogy models, Globemaster, Aqua Terra, Railmaster, Tresor, ........ With 36mm Rolex is either creating a trend towards smaller watches in general, which I would prefer much more than the 47mm monsters we saw a couple of years ago but again, personally I wouldn't necessarily pick a 36mm model if I have a choice. Choices is what Omega does provide much better than Rolex I think. And then the demand of 41mm Submariners and 40mm GMT Masters are much, much higher than for any Explorer... It is not their flagship model.

5. AngelDeVille Apr 8, 2021

I thought the 39 railmaster was a pretty good alternative, I'm not sure if there was a 36.

The 36mm size does have me considering an explorer, as I am not a fan of the 39 or 34mm.

Ohh, and there is the fact that railmasters were actually available for purchase....

wagudc likes this.
  6. Rado63 Apr 8, 2021

It seems Omega has been making modern watches with heritage influence i.e. the 40 mm Railmaster and the 41mm Seamaster 300, and although they slightly changed the case length on the new Speedmaster they incorporated heritage into the case and the bracelet. So to answer your question I don't think Omega is on that path of making things more traditionally sized but definitely tradition is influencing the design.

maskwp likes this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 8, 2021

Interesting statement ... could you elaborate a bit further please?

8. Major74 Apr 8, 2021

I think he means the lug to lug was shortened a little. Very slightly but still shorter.

9. gnuyork Apr 8, 2021

Yes. by 1mm - and I'll take every bit of it.

10. thelinendial Apr 8, 2021

@DIV I have the exact same thoughts though I never bought the 39mm.

Even then there’s some hesitancy as I wish they’d change the 3,6,9 font or go back to the original painted numerals.

11. kcgunner Apr 8, 2021

I hate that Rolex went back to the 36mm size. Who is this watch for exactly?? The 39mm was perfect the way it was. Now they have royally screwed it up. I don't care about the historical size, I only care about what a good modern size should be. I hate that they've done this.

12. Rado63 Apr 8, 2021

13. Rado63 Apr 8, 2021

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

Aha. I’m now with you. Yes, this is a fact I know all too well. For some reason it read like : it was ‘shortened’ wrt the case it was cloned from (which would have been news to me) :thumbsup:

15. Sicario Wombat Apr 9, 2021

There was a 36mm OMEGA Railmaster... the 2504.52 from the early 2000s. A short production run and quite difficult to find on the used market. The 39mm and even 41mm look huge and aesthetically not pleasing for my wrists. I managed to grab this one from eBay recently... just sorting out the bracelet and waiting for a new strap for it. Love this to bits and more reasonably priced than a Rolex Explorer which I considered.

IMG_0700.JPG

Premaster, Darlinboy, maskwp and 3 others like this.
  16. grokas Apr 9, 2021

Right there, that's perfection. i had the 39 but it was a little big and had to let it go, with that dial 36mm is perfect.

17. DIV Apr 9, 2021

Yes, I know all about that...I had the 36mm Railmaster and the 39mm twice. We discussed this extensively on the Omega sub-forum on WUS in a thread called “Tales of Two Railmasters”.
    The 36 was great, but I think the bracelet clasp was a disappointment. Plus the broad arrow minute hand handset bothered me.
    If only Omega would bring back the Ranchero, I would be in heaven!

18. DIV Apr 9, 2021

!....A REISSUE OF THE 36mm RANCHERO IS WHAT OMEGA NEEDS TO DO!,,,

Flip and gnuyork like this.
  19. Major74 Apr 9, 2021

The measurement in this calliper measured suggest difference of closer to 0.5mm...0.55 according to the video but yep I would take every bit of it. With the bracelet the old one is 54mm....A whopping 7mm difference.

20. Dedlock Apr 9, 2021

they dont need to respond, Rolex fell on their own sword with the new line. and I'm pretty sure a 41mm version will be announced down the road.

Pun, DIV, maskwp and 1 other person like this.