Forums Latest Members
  1. R3D9 Apr 26, 2017

... is having it's Tom-Cruise-bouncing-on-the-couch moment:

IMG_0143.PNG

IMG_0145.PNG

IMG_0146.PNG
    Guys, guys ::facepalm1::

This is taking the NASA/space connection just a smudge too far.

Can someone send them the name of Apples PR firm?

imageWIS, Bbdiy, Ru4scuba and 8 others like this.
  2. repoman Apr 26, 2017

They lost me with the dog ::facepalm1::

3. ras47 Apr 26, 2017

What the hell, NASA!?! Act as if.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 26, 2017

I'm not so sure that NASA has anything to do with this... Looks like just an Omega advertising ploy. That what happens when no one hires tyrantlizardrex to help with their PR...

5. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Apr 26, 2017

At least they should wear TinTins

6. alohatime Apr 26, 2017

The quality of the space suits I think makes it look really bad. well that and the video editing. . . and the acting. . . okay nm its everything :eek:

I just don't see how they are pushing #moonwatch tag will catch on with this.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 26, 2017

This is a very bad idea!... does it rain on the moon?

DaveK likes this.
  8. danicycle Apr 26, 2017

they will ride this theme FOREVER... wait till Rolex lands one on Mars.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  9. R3D9 Apr 26, 2017

Honestly, what's next???

A dozen MI6 agents dressed in tutus skipping down the Champs Élysées for a Seamaster campaign?

ctime3 likes this.
  10. w.finkenstaedt Apr 26, 2017

Damn, do you guys ever have fun? So much negativity on forums these days, I wonder why I even bother coming here anymore... [emoji848]

11. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 26, 2017

I can see where you're coming from, but this is honestly horrible. I don't know what they are doing.

neilfrancis and BrianMcKay like this.
  12. w.finkenstaedt Apr 26, 2017

I still don't get why, though. Having astronauts running around London for a massive event Omega is putting on is terrible?

I think everyone needs to take a step back and think: does this hurt you in any way? Damn, you guys are probably the people that complain about fireworks being too noisy on the 4th of July.

13. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 26, 2017

@w.finkenstaedt I'm sorry for the negative attitude, but I think you may be looking at this from the wrong angle.

All of us on this forum want Omega to succeed in the sense that they put out a number of gorgeous and commercially-successful watches. By putting advertisements like this up on their official Instagram page, it makes them look like a childish company with a less than qualified marketing manager... not a company that sells fine Swiss watches with an incredible heritage.

No one wants to see Omega slip up, and this looks like a slip up. That's my take on it, anyway. You're right though, it doesn't affect me, it just (potentially) affects the prosperity and image of the company we all love.

Edit: I really want to clarify that I don't care that much. It's just a weird thing to have up on Instagram I guess, and it doesn't seem fitting with the rest of their pictures/advertisements. I should probably understand the context of these images a bit more before I criticize them.

Bbdiy and R3D9 like this.
  14. w.finkenstaedt Apr 26, 2017

No trust me, I get it. I just don't see how it harms the company. They're celebrating the Speedmaster. It's not as if Omega is in any danger of going under; they're in the most profitable watch conglomerate and they're the most profitable luxury brand in that conglomerate.

Look at how the industry insiders that are there are reacting; Arthur Touchot for Hodinkee, Robert-Jan Broer for Fratello Watches, etc. all seem to be having a good time. You guys all seem to be focused on something that most people will forget about by tomorrow (if they haven't already).

15. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 26, 2017

Fair enough! We are all welcome to express our opinions and I appreciate your input. I'll look into this a bit more, as I'm interested to better understand the context behind it.

16. ras47 Apr 26, 2017

Its amateurish and IMHO detracts from the professionalism of our astronauts. Nobody thinks they are real astronauts - just a bunch of kids in costumes. But it looks like an SNL skit designed almost to mock them.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  17. ras47 Apr 26, 2017

Clearly nobody is going to believe it was Omega's attempt to poke fun at our astronauts. Far from it. But the whole concept is misguided as far as I can see.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  18. R3D9 Apr 26, 2017

The forum is a place to have conversations and share opinions. Not everyone likes everything that the company does 100% of the time.

My intention when I created the post was not to assert that Omega is a horrible company, but rather to point out this is an absurd and cheesy bit of marketing.

Frankly, I don't see the harm and if you don't agree or think we're being over-dramatic there's plenty of other threads to move on to.

19. w.finkenstaedt Apr 26, 2017

Except Buzz Aldrin came in wearing one of the suits... ‍[emoji573]

20. speedybob Apr 26, 2017

Yes, that's Snowy...and that guy with an umbrella must be Thomson... or is it Thompson?:D