Forums Latest Members
  1. El Mago Aug 8, 2019

Hy all,

I'm really into buying an Omega "Dirty Dozen". I did some research and finally found one for a reasonable price, that I think is genuine.

I'd like to have some feedback tho, from guys that know more than I do.

Thanks in advance s-l400-6.jpg s-l400-4.jpg s-l400-3.jpg s-l400-5.jpg s-l400-7.jpg s-l400-9.jpg s-l400-1.jpg s-l400.jpg s-l400-2.jpg

Edited Aug 8, 2019
  2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 9, 2019

Firstly, good luck with getting what you want.

If you value originality, you might like to compare the non-original dial/hands of this one with mine, below, which is representative of unrestored condition:
    smlcroppedDSC_0007_00007macro.jpg

El Mago likes this.
  3. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

Hy...thanks for your reply.

Lovely watch you have right there mate.

I've got a better pic on "mine" here. I dont really see much of a mistake...maybe the seconds hand is a bit too short...but the reat looks good to me. Or is it really that bad? I want an original one...no doubt. s-l1600 (5).jpg

Cheers

4. Skipper_S Aug 9, 2019

redial...

El Mago likes this.
  5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 9, 2019

Where I don't think the dial has been done well is around the sub dial (no outer ring in white) and the 'SWISS' and 'Omega' inscriptions; numerals too seem a little on the light (skinny) side to my eye. It seems to me that sometimes when a dial/hands are repainted and the superficial appearance of such watches 'improved,' the seller seeks an over-inflated price, whereas in many cases the intrinsic value has been reduced by the loss of the original parts or patina. But I'd accept that people have differing taste and priorities, so if the desired 'look' and acceptable price come together, that's good enough reason to deal.

I know some sellers look to take £2,500 for these nowadays, but if substantially non-original, I can't see that as being justified, and if I had to replace mine, I'd not want to spend more than around £1,500.

For further comparison here's my movement/rear cover:
    sml30T2Movement.jpg

El Mago likes this.
  6. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

I think...after closer investigation that the one i showed is a MOD...means it doesnt have the original stepped dial anymore....Omega changed the dials later on watches that where still on duty...when they found out radium was radioktive...in the 50s or so...

7. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

Yea i get what you're saying...and my Omegas are all original to...and I dont want anythi g else for them...especially my 105.012-64.

But like I've already said....I found out that the dials and hands where changed on watch that where szill on duty in the late 50s...early 60s...when the found out about the radioactivity of radium.

So this one might not be the all original stepped dial with radium...but still original imo...ok the hands where most likely relumed...

8. Skipper_S Aug 9, 2019

For my eyes, what it makes it really ugly when you see it (before taking a closer look to other redial issues) is the relumed hands.

El Mago likes this.
  9. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

Yes...they're relumed...no doubt...but that doesnt make it a redial per se...imo

10. chadpowe11 Aug 9, 2019

Nice omega www with mod dial. Nothing wrong with this example. Relume is common for military issue watches. Mod dial doesn’t effect value drastically.

Cheers

w154 and El Mago like this.
  11. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

Thanks mate...you reply made my day....I had some tine today to do some more research and came to that same point.

Highly appreciated.

Cheers

12. w154 Aug 9, 2019

I don’t full understand the negativity here, like chadpowe11 said there’s really nothing that wrong with this example. Granted it’s not in it’s fully original state but it’s not pretending to be something that it isn’t. Hands could be more sympathetically relumed for not much cost. It boils down to what the OP wants and the cost.

El Mago likes this.
  13. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

Thanks for your reply mate....appreciate it

14. w154 Aug 9, 2019

Would you share the asking price ? Then people could be a lot more objective about whether it’s good value.

El Mago likes this.
  15. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

€1550,-

Imo its fair...fresh serviced too.

16. w154 Aug 9, 2019

It’s OK but not great. At that price I’d personally look for better, especially if you’re not in a rush.

El Mago likes this.
  17. El Mago Aug 9, 2019

I'll keep looking....thanks mate