Forums Latest Members
  1. FredDib Oct 6, 2013

After another post I had about a grandparents watch it seems they are all coming out into the open.

The father in law got this watch given about 15 years ago. He uses it to go fishing in with a home made strap and didn't even know who Omega were!

Other than the fact its quite old, can anybody help with info on this watch?

Unlike the other that I will keep forever, I could potentially buy this off him, refub and sell on if it was worth it.

So any opinions would be great. It might even be a replica, I have litereally no idea about it. I tried to Google but got little joy.

Thanks

om1.JPG om2.JPG om3.JPG Hi,

2. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2013

If that's what I think it is, the military watch guys will be all over you as soon as they see it.

3. John R Smith Oct 6, 2013

It is what you think it is ;)

4. FredDib Oct 6, 2013

Erm....

So what is it? ::shy::

5. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 6, 2013

Something like this?

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 6, 2013

Sell it to me then

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

Omega RAF'53 Fat Arrow watch - looks to be in original condition. Would sell as is without refurbishing. $1500-2000 in value as is.

8. MyVintageOmega Oct 6, 2013

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 6, 2013

:eek:

Is it on the FS pages yet?

11. FredDib Oct 7, 2013

Thank you.

I'm quite taken back with the history and information on this watch. I didnt realise it was so sort of special.

Antimagnetic etc

I'm going to send it off for a quote on restoration.

The watch does work and seems to hold time so hoplefully its just cosmetic and a service thats needed to bring it up to scratch.

Any opinions on the restoration? I presume a bit of wear and age is considered better than trying to make it look line new?

12. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 7, 2013

Send it to someone who actually knows what this really is. Many watchmakers do not care, and have no real knowledge as to servicing of such a great piece of history.
    I suggest you inform the guys in here in what region of the world you are residing, and based on this ask around in here for competent watchmakers.
    DO NOT take it to any "down on the corner" watchmaker (or even most authorized Omega dealers). They may very likely both rip you off, and make a mess of it!!!

13. FredDib Oct 7, 2013

Yep, good point.

I'm going to send it to thewatchguy.co.uk - he seems to get good reviews on here so hopefully is whats needed.

14. John R Smith Oct 7, 2013

Fred

The watch is worth quite a bit to a military collector just as it is. You can easily destroy that value by trying to "restore" the watch. All that I would do with this one is have the movement serviced (cleaned and lubricated) and fit a new genuine Omega crystal. You could also gently clean the case (do not use abrasives). Otherwise, leave it alone.

This is a very nice example of an Omega military (our MOD) RAF issue watch. The solid strap bars are meant to be used with a NATO or simple webbing strap. A very nice find!

John

15. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 7, 2013

He's in the UK.

I'd suggest you ask Christian about it when you send him the other one. Just remember that you can never unpolish or unpaint things.

16. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 7, 2013

Warning!!!
    Send it to watchguy.co.uk and not thewatchguy.... Different guys!
    Christian at "watchguy.co.uk" is the one you like to deal with. He has just the correct attitude as to not ruin the value by doing any restoration. He will gently ultrasonic clean the parts, and no do any polishing. His prices are also very sympathetic!
    He is servicing more or less all my watches as well!

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 7, 2013

Send it to Andrew here: http://www.timeworldservices.co.uk/
    And the only thing I would have them do is replace the crystal and service the movement. DO NOT POLISH CASE OR RELUME HANDS OR TOUCH DIAL!

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2013

Again, What Mike said:
    DO NOT POLISH CASE OR RELUME HANDS OR TOUCH DIAL!
    You will destroy the value.

19. FredDib Oct 7, 2013

Sorry, my msitake I did mean the Christian one at watchguy not thewatchguy.

Thank you so much for the above advice. I didnt realise it was so important to leave things like the dial.

He is going to get back to me with prices but after reading above will go for a clean (not polish), new glass and a service. Oh and strap.

Any ideas what colour the strap would have been? I know it needs to be one of them fabric 'nato' ones but thats about it.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 7, 2013

There are many straps out there for fixed bar watches - it does not have to be a NATO strap. And even if you do get a NATO, it does not have to be fabric as there are seller out there making leather NATO straps. If you go NATO look for stainless steel hardware rather than plated brass.

I know Jurgen sells tang buckle straps for these, and it's what I have on my Vertex WWW.

Nice watch too BTW.

Cheers, Al