Forums Latest Members
  1. sba2222 Oct 14, 2015

So, I basically know nothing about watches, and even worse nothing about vintage watches, but I have been doing a LOT of research the past couple of days.

I'm trying to find a vintage watch under $2000 Canadian, but I want it to be as special as it can get for that price.

I found a Omega seamaster cosmic, which I love the look of, as the grey color is something I really wanted. Now I know nothing about these watches, so I have attached a photo, if everyone can let me know what they think and if it is a good buy I would appreciate any help I can get!

If anyone has any other ideas or recommendations in that price range I am open to that as well. I was hoping to get an Omega, but again am open to other suggestions.

Thanks! :)

3203032_s.jpg 3203032j_s.jpg 3203032n_s.jpg
  2. sba2222 Oct 14, 2015

Oops pictures are so tiny, see attached here...

3203032gross.jpg 3203032j.jpg 3203032n.jpg
    one eyed Jack likes this.
  3. the future Oct 14, 2015

My advice would be to keep looking for a while. Look at wruw threads. Look at articles. Google image search types of watches that you may be interested in, ie: "vintage Omega dive watch"; "vintage dress watch"; " vintage chronograph", etc. In my experience, as you look, and think, and read, and step away for a while, then think some more, you will gradually come to an idea of what you really like in a watch, what brand you like, what features, etc. For me, the 165.024 Seamaster and the Explorer 1016 are equals as perfectly executed wristwatches. $2000 CAD ain't what it used to be, but it's still a lot of money, too much in my opinion to blow without some careful consideration.

Also, the chase is quite often as good or better than the catch, so enjoy it.

4. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Oct 14, 2015

Pay particular attention to watch diameter. Many vintage watches are smaller in size, so it'd be best to know what you'd be comfortable with before pulling the trigger on anything. Pics can be deceiving with respect to size.

5. Rockmastermike Oct 14, 2015

Rule #1: Buy the Seller before you buy the watch

Oh yeah, and lots of looking, reading and asking questions

have fun and good luck

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 14, 2015

Not sure what the exchange rate is like with the US$, but the Seamaster Cosmic with the dial you show typically sells on eBAY in the 250-400 US$ range depending on condition.

7. sba2222 Oct 15, 2015

This watch is selling for $1080 usd, so you are saying its prices too high... Does anyone suggest a specific omega? One that would be great to collect?

8. devnull Oct 15, 2015

Gosh, only you can answer that question. If I put in front of you a Piepan constellation and a Seamaster Deville and both where the same price, it would be up to you to decide which one rocks your boat.

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 15, 2015

The comments above are all sound advice

Modern watches tend to be very large
    Many vintage watches are significantly smaller -but the close-up sales pics make them look large
    I was surprised at the (small) size when I eventually received my first Constellation -but I have small wrists and prefer a smaller watch anyway
    Some watches aren't that big but wear bigger -like the hidden crown Connie I have

The style of the watch you posted is very particular -the 'block' indices are very much a late 60s / early 70s style
    Your personal aesthetic is everything -from the material and shape of the case, to the style of the indices and hands

The C-shaped case (the edges are like two mirrored Cs) is not to everyone's taste (a Gerald Genta design I think?) but is undervalued and becoming more and more popular with collectors -often because they are still very well priced due to the (currently ) limited appeal
    As collectors pieces they will almost certainly continue to rise in price

Currently I only collect Constellations -and there are Connies with the C-case and also some later Constellations (late 60s early 70s) have block indices
    (I don't think they ever came with the coloured outer minute track like the Cosmic as they are intended as dress watches)

Obviously this is an Omega forum -so there is a bias -but the members also collect many different marques
    Look to the two sales sections here -and also the sub-forums for other vintage watches
    Try viewing watch auction sites (globally) there is often a large range of all makes of watches to see what floats your boat the most

here's a link to an upcoming auction in the UK (Fellows)-which has both the type of Connie I was describing (with the excellent cal 564 movement but with non-hidden crown -note movements are also important ) and a Cosmic
    the info suggests the cosmic is smaller than the Connie (by 1mm)
    lots 212 and 219

http://www.fellows.co.uk/The-Watch-...3&currency=&search_type=&year=&department_id=

BTW -I'm not recommending either watch -this is just for reference -do lots of Google searches and if you see something you like post it up here for comment
    and don't get fooled by the estimates -the Connie will probably go for around GB£400-500 plus approx 25% commission/fees

hope that helps you on your journey......most of all enjoy the learning and the hunt!

Philip

KingCrouchy likes this.
  10. sba2222 Oct 15, 2015

Thank you so much your upcoming auction link was very helpful. As for getting someones advice on what to buy, I completely agree it is a personal decision, but I'm ore curious to know what the better buy is as far as vintage OMEGA goes. For instance, I read that the de ville and geneve's are not great vintage buys. I just want to know what would be a great buy? Something a new watch collector would be happy to receive...

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 15, 2015

I understand what you are asking - you want to buy good value
    But I'm afraid there is no 'right' answer to your question
    Some Omega watches are more collectable and therefore will appreciate more in value - Speedies being a case in point
    I hadn't heard De Villes or Geneves are not good buys - they might be less collectable than other styles

I like Constellations but I collect them for their beauty -the plus point is that they happen to be collectable and will appreciate in value -the down side is that this makes them more expensive to buy in the first place

Most importantly you should buy what you like
    You have a good budget (as long as you don't like the Omega sports watches) so as I said previously lots of research to see why you like first -and ask questions here

Edited Oct 15, 2015
  12. sba2222 Oct 15, 2015

Do you know if I can get a constellation or speed master within my budget?

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 15, 2015

Connie yes
    Stainless steel versions
    Gold cap versions are peculiarly generally less
    Don't expect solid gold in your budget
    Seamaster definitely yes
    Speedy no - even ropey ones cost Thousands of US Dollars
    Constellations are chronometer certified - the top performing watches
    Some Seamasters are too - and fetch similar prices
    'Regular ' Seamasters are generally less expensive but still beautiful - and very collectable - watches.
    A stunning solid gold version sold on this forum very recently for less than your budget
    They don't come up that often - a very lucky buyer
    Watches at auction often cost considerably less - but you have to know what you are looking for so do your research and then post prospective targets here - the members are always willing to help ( especially if you do some homework yourself)

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 15, 2015

Apologies for the second post - my phone will only handle so many words
    If you want some surety look at the private sales section
    Eg There is a particularly nice hidden crown SS Pie pan ( and others) within your budget
    And the members don't mind if you post their watches for comment
    You MUST factor in a service cost unless it states serviced - around 400 Canadian
    If you are only going to buy one watch make it a 'perfect' one
    Condition is everything if you want a collectable watch

15. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Opinions/feedback on this watch please!! :)

90021-12.jpg 90021-12_1.jpg
  16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 19, 2015

Tip
    If you are going to post different types of watches for comment start a new thread
    - and do some ground work first
    The members are really generous with their assistance but appreciate a little effort from newcomers in return

17. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Thanks for the 'tip', I have actually done plenty of my own research, and by posting it here I'm doing more research. I have had a lot more trouble finding information than I thought I would. And I find it really presumptuous for you to say I have not put in any effort.
    I will be starting a new post for this watch and hopefully I can get some generous information from there.

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 19, 2015

Hi sba
    Not presumption or criticism just a friendly pointer
    I think you can tell I intend to assist you by my previous posts ( and I wouldn't have bothered to reply to your latest post )
    But if you don't want help that's okay too

19. one eyed Jack Mar 17, 2019

Beautiful beautiful watch in my view these will be becoming more and more popular especially in this spec and this c case shape. The Cosmic has the style of a Connie C Case and more because the dial is larger. The first generation Cosmics also had the best movements either manual or auto, only flaw being the lack of a 564 or a 751, I enclose a picture of a NOS dial I used to replace a damaged dial on my watch. These are underrated but it wont last for ever.

s-l1600.jpg
    red crowned likes this.