Omega vintage cal. 501 OT 2898

Hi guys,

Hope to find everyone well and safe.

I'm about to purchase my first omega vintage watch and I will truly appreciate your support to understand if it's in fact a good deal.

I've found online a gold vintage watch that seems to be a Omega gold Tresor cal. 501 OT 2898 from 1957, however since there is so much fakes / replicated omega watch, I want to have sure before I invest in it.

Does it seem legit? In your opinion what is the maximum amount that I should pay for it?

Thank you!

IMO :
Dial has been repainted.
Has import / local gold hallmarks on back.
I would not pay more than 600€ if I was in your shoes.

As it has been redialed, the value is - more or less - as the value of the parts in the movement + the gold value. That's what the cynial collector in me says.

Very generous as I would be at around $350 USA.

450€ for 13 g. of scrap gold and 150€ for the movement and hands if I was in HIS SHOES. Trying to limit the damage here.
$350 is what I would be happy to pay if I was in my shoes and obviously yours.

Happy new year to all !

I think there is a little too much cynicism here. I can see that making maybe £700-850 on ebay as a runner even as a redial. It is genuine, tidy and in good condition and for some buyers that is enough. It isn't a collector piece of course but not every buyer is a collector, or has the knowledge to suss out the true condition of the dial. Many redials are just junk, this is not in that category.

I accept the more learned opinions on it being a re painted dial but can you confirm the telltales on the Re painted dial, or is it the lack of degradation? The O of omega looks a bit off but it isn’t totally clear

I think there is a little too much cynicism here. I can see that making maybe £700-850 on ebay as a runner even as a redial. It is genuine, tidy and in good condition and for some buyers that is enough. It isn't a collector piece of course but not every buyer is a collector, or has the knowledge to suss out the true condition of the dial.
I recently sold an all original 18k 1961 omega on eBay in good condition and it ended at somewhere in the region of £700, I was very disappointed. If this redial is disclosed on the advert I think this estimate would be a little top heavy. I would personally value this watch the same as a watch with a damaged dial. Maybe £450-500.

I accept the more learned opinions on it being a re painted dial but can you confirm the telltales on the Re painted dial, or is it the lack of degradation? The O of omega looks a bit off but it isn’t totally clear
The way you learn is by looking at lots and lots of images of vintage omegas. Eventually you can tell a redial without even consciously finding specific signs. Usually it always comes down to quality.

I recently sold an all original 18k 1961 omega on eBay in good condition and it ended at somewhere in the region of £700, I was very disappointed. If this redial is disclosed on the advert I think this estimate would be a little top heavy. I would personally value this watch the same as a watch with a damaged dial. Maybe £450-500.
Fair enough. I was basing my price estimate on the redial not being disclosed, as it seems is the case here. I wouldn't give that for it but I bet someone would. Nor would I sell a watch like that but many do. Many value clean over original, or can't tell original from redone because they haven't looked at enough watches and done their homework.

In this case, the minute marks are not symmetrical to the metal markers in distance and alignment. I believe an original would have been probably two tone.

Agreed, perhaps a little more if it was a Seamaster and even more again if a Constellation