Omega vintage cal. 266 18ct gold linen dial

Hello guys,

I've called upon the help of this forum before when considering buying vintage watches. This one caught my eye.

I've been looking for a vintage manual wind and this one seems to be in pretty good condition. From what I can tell and by comparing it to similar watches, the dial and crown look to be original (please correct me if I'm wrong). The lugs are quite polished, but I can live with that given the asking price.

Now the seller is asking EUR 900 for it and it doesn't seem to be a bad deal for an 18ct version in good condition. Please tell me if I'm missing something as I don't want to make any rash decisions.

Omega 1.jpg omega 2.jpg omega 3.jpg omega 4.jpg omega 5.jpg omega 6.jpg omega 7.jpg omega 8.jpg

Doesn't look like an Omega case to me.
The case itself is not the original? How can you tell? Genuinely interested as I would not have thought of that. I need a more critical eye. It seemed okay at first glance, but that's why I really appreciate your knowledge. Thank you for that.

The case itself is not the original? How can you tell? Genuinely interested as I would not have thought of that. I need a more critical eye. It seemed okay at first glance, but that's why I really appreciate your knowledge. Thank you for that.
An original Omega case has hallmarks under a lug and inside the case back, it also has the reference number of the case stamped on it, not only 18k like yours.
Compare your case to this one then you can see the difference.

2019-08-27_02-04-55.jpg 2019-08-27_02-05-03.jpg 2019-08-27_02-05-28.jpg
2019-08-27_02-05-28__01.jpg

It could be a foreign market case. That’s the right style (and metal, 18k) for a Tresor for the South American or some other market. Movements were imported into some markets and cased there to dodge import taxes for precious metals.

I’m wearing my 55 English cased Omega right now, one of my favourite pieces. These things are a bit undervalued because it doesn’t say Omega on the case, but it doesn’t make them any less of a beautiful watch.

An original Omega case has hallmarks under a lug and inside the case back, it also has the reference number of the case stamped on it, not only 18k like yours.
Compare your case to this one then you can see the difference.
Thank you for the explanation. Looking at your pictures there is a clear difference indeed. Fritz gave a possible explanation about the missing stamps and marks, which would also explain why the asking price is lower than similar watches (atleast on Chrono24). I will think about whether I still want this watch.

It could be a foreign market case. That’s the right style (and metal, 18k) for a Tresor for the South American or some other market. Movements were imported into some markets and cased there to dodge import taxes for precious metals.
I did not know this was a thing. Thank you for the information. I'll think about buying this watch taking this into account.

I did not know this was a thing. Thank you for the information. I'll think about buying this watch taking this into account.
A solid 18k dress watch in nice shape for 900 Eurovision a nice deal, the watch seems to be an honest foreign market piece in decent shape. I’d seriously consider it were I able to look at it more closely.

A solid 18k dress watch in nice shape for 900 Eurovision a nice deal, the watch seems to be an honest foreign market piece in decent shape. I’d seriously consider it were I able to look at it more closely.
I actually bought it last week for EUR 750 and received it today 😁
Very happy with this one. Just have to get it serviced and it's good to go.