Forums Latest Members
  1. watchlover07 Mar 4, 2014

Hi all, I posted this thread in the section 'Omega review' today but maybe it is better to post it here. I am searching for a new watch. I almost pulled the trigger on a 42mm PO. I have some hesitation because I do not like the valve crown on the PO en Seamaster Professional. I owned the GMT for a while but it was not a keeper. Recently I read some posts here and on WUS about the Seamaster 300 Watchco version. IMO a beautiful watch with a vintage look. One piece is for sale here and located within the EU. I like the watch but something does not feel good yet. The price is about € 1.800 for a watch without warrantee in the EU from a Omega distributer or Service Center and what puzzles me is that there are some doubts whether Omega would consider this watch as a genuine Omega watch or not. Yesterday I read on WUS that a member has ordered the watch and Customs in Germany consider the watch, after some research via Omega, as a fake Omega Seamaster?! Thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/watchco-sm300-final-verdict-omega-558085.html. This problem showed up in 2011. My question is: will Omega service this watch nowadays when needed or not. Are there some experiences about it. Furthermore what do you think is a reasonable value for a vintage looking watch built from NOS genuine Omega watch parts.

2. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2014

There's no issue that would keep an independent watchmaker from servicing a WatchCo piece.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 4, 2014

As you will see at the conclusion of that thread, the OP never provided any information to back his claim. I am skeptical, how would German customs have access to the Omega database to determine the whether the watch is a Watchco or not???? IMO the story is fabricated, although I am not sure why.

In addition, I have had my Watchco examined for a service estimate by Omega. They provided the full estimate and there were no issues with it being a Watchco.

Finally, you do not want Omega to do this type of service. It is something any competent watchmaker can do at a fraction of the cost.

JimInOz likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2014

Omega is not Rolex. They really don't care if there are non-standard parts inside the watch when sent for service. They will replace them with correct ones (or as close as they can get) and move on. Rolex will huff and puff about the watch "not being original" and refuse to service it.

So, in my opinion, you should be able to get Omega factory service on a WatchCo built Seamaster 300 in the future. However, I question at $1,000+, whether you would want to.

As others have said, you can get a good indepedent watchmaker to perform the same work for maybe $200 or so.

I'm not going to comment on the value as I have no particular interest in that watch.
    gatorcpa

5. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2014

Is that how you define 'irony'? ;) Not having any interest actually does count as a comment on the value of that watch to you. :p

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2014

That's not necessarily true. I acknowledge that the watch has considerable value in the marketplace. Since I have no interest in that model, I have no idea what that value would be. Therefore, I decline to make a comment on the value as the OP asked.

Maybe a better way of putting it is that the watch has a value of somewhere between zero and infinity.
    gatorcpa

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2014

If you're still undecided, log on to WUS Ω Forums and create a poll thread "Should I buy a Watchco SM300 or not?" ;)
    Seriously now - This subject has been done to death on various forums ::deadhorse::

There are are obviously two camps you can wander into:

The naysaying nannypants pecksniffs who recoil in horror at anything that wasn't put together in the actual Omega factory,

and

The mature watch appreciator who knows precisely what they want, understand that every part of their watch came from exactly the same place as the original and simply enjoy it for what it is.

surftime, MaiLollo, Bwana1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 4, 2014

So...where do YOU stand? :)

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2014

I'm a 'mature watch' appreciator as well as a 'mature watch appreciator' :D
    IMG_0051.jpg

alvaropm, Alpha, Varasc and 2 others like this.
  10. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2014

I like WatchCo frankens. What could be bad about an authentic vintage look but in a kind-of-modern package that you can have no fear of wearing?

persco likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2014

::stirthepot::

12. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 4, 2014

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Is there any Watchco version for this SM 300 with big triangle?

Picture credit: 'flame'

Thank you.

ooo.jpg
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2014

I have nothing against them either. I'm just not in the 300 market right now.
    gatorcpa

14. rolexfantastic Mar 5, 2014

From my knowledge, Watchco does not provide big triangle dials.
    Also, the movements in these SM 300 were not necessarily stripped from other units.

Anyone tried to order a case with Omega lately (not Ofrei / Cousins etc.) ?

15. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 5, 2014

Respectable Member rolexfantastic

I appreciate the information provided me.

I have seen a few of the SM 120 and relatively many SM 300 with a Watchco dial. However, I have not seen any big triangle SM 300 with a Watchco dial and your confirmation is much appreciated. When asked, I can correctly answer this question.

Thank you.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2014

I order them often...

17. rolexfantastic Mar 5, 2014

I cannot order the case with them (not that i need one). I can order other parts for the ref. 165.024/166.024.
    Have you ever had restrictions in purchasing parts (that later lifted), since your account opened with Omega ?
    For example, when trying to buy parts for a c. 1045, from a list of needed parts like:
    1100, 1104 , 1111, 1202 , 1212 , 1316 i only get a quote for 1104, while the rest not available or on request.
    Or for c. 1040, i get nothing for the part 2473 (switch screw).
    For the case is the price much different then Ofrei / Cousins ?
    For some, Watchco or independent part sellers, remain a good solution for various reasons.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2014

I've never had any "restrictions" so I have never had any lifted...

In some cases if you want a new part, such as some very specific LE dials, you have to send the old one back in exchange, but if you did so there was no "restriction" on actually purchasing the parts.

19. rolexfantastic Mar 5, 2014

I am aware about the exchanges. On one occasion a case was only available if the old was sent in exchange (but that was not a LE)..
    Although the new SM cases made after 2000's, have new references to easily distinct from the 'originals', i can't find a reason to restrict purchases but i guess that's their way.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2014

Are you a watchmaker? Never quite sure, so if you are, do you have an Omega account?

If both answers are yes, can you list your major shop equipment? Timing machine, pressure testing equipment, etc. This may be why you can't order some things...