Forums Latest Members

Omega upping their game big time

1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Mar 22, 2015

I commented on a new speedy thread a few days ago asking "is it me or is Omega putting more attention to detail and finish to their new models" anyway Cicindela answered promptly in the affirmative. I know people are saying they are trying to break into Rolexes range and pricing territory and maybe wanting to steal their crown but I have another theory. They aren't after the rolex crown they have decided to make their own crown and it seems out of Sedna gold, titanium and liquidmetal. They seem to have gone into overdrive with technology and detail and are going into a whole new level of watchmaking and seem to be unstoppable.
    The downside is Omega pricing is on another level along with their watches and after my first new omega purchase in fourteen years. Myself Being a skint tosser omega seems to be slipping away from my collecting price range.
    Your thoughts on omegas current direction people will be greatly appreciated.

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 22, 2015

With the recent releases, I would agree. The prices do seem to be higher than what I would have expected.

The other side.... I just lost an auction an hour ago for a titanium SM300. My bid was $4666. Winning bid was ~$4750.

Event horizon likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 22, 2015

yeah, buying the 2015 models in 2016 shouldn't be tooooo bad. Buying straight from AD as soon as they're released is always gonna be a little on the pricey side for me.

Edited Mar 23, 2015
    Event horizon likes this.
  4. maxtor71 Mar 22, 2015

I don't think you can even compare the two. I appreciate the insane work that Rolex puts into finish, quality control etc.but the watches bore me to tears. Also, I don't have gigantic wrists but pieces like the Daytona just feel comically small to me.

Omega is and has been innovating for a long time and the prices have gone up in part due to this. Lets not forget they are a business out for profits, so even if they didn't have to re-coop costs for new tech etc. they'd still want to charge as much as possible. Ultimately, demand and a well oiled dealer network is what controls costs and if you know where to look, you can find some pretty damn good deals on Omegas. Even in my neck of the woods where prices are a bit on the high side, I reckon $4400 is good value for the new big box hesalite Speedy. To me, they have a lot of watches that have immense feel good factor and just immediately feel that they're worth spending on - classic Speedy, DSOM, 45th Speedy etc.

Worse case, if you can't justify buying new, the pre-owned market is always worth keeping an eye on.

Max

5. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Mar 22, 2015

Hey don't get me wrong I've just bought the sm300 master coaxial and I screwed the ad to the floor. It still didn't stop my arse bleeding a little from the price.

OmegaRookie likes this.
  6. flyingout Mar 22, 2015

I'm learning some great new words here. :thumbsup:

I have to agree that prices for new watches today are difficult for me to justify, as I can't help comparing them to my last new purchases a decade and a half ago. Some selling virtually unchanged for 3x the price. And I'm guessing discounting has gotten slimmer.

7. jcmartinez98 Mar 23, 2015

brand NEW?
    wow. i need to get on that.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 23, 2015

Used, in mint condition. I messaged seller to contact me if sale falls through. He said at that price he would keep it, he was very disappointed.

If I had not just bought the PO ti I would have bid $5,000.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2015

Man up, eat more 2-minute noodles and tinned baked beans, then take up smoking an then quit. Qutting smoking just saved you the cost of a new Omega over the length of a year and the beans and noodles mean you're actually making money while wearing your free Omega.

You're all welcome :coffee:

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 23, 2015

I do agree that Omega is definitely pushing innovation, like everything though there is room for taste disagreement. I think there is a large number of Omega misfires that somewhat lower the brand perception (to me). It's like someone went ballistic and started pushing buttons on the design offices..."now orange, now red, now black, gray, dusty gray, vintage gray...now white, add diamonds, this that and the other. When 3 out of five offerings are Limited Editions, you start being a little less exclusive on your "limited" because one can always wait and catch the next one.

I don't think a 39/40 mm watch like the Daytona can be considered comically small IMO...Ido think the thickness of the 8500 PO could be comically perceived unless of course it is dragging you down the ocean. Omega is floating consistently around the 42mm range, which i personally love. Rolex around the 40mm mark, with the bezel-less lines of Oyster and E1 at 39ish..I think that remains elegant as well. I don't like the bezel ratio of the new Rolex Submariners though, makes the Dial seem small. but the Daytona being small? dunno about that.

Where Omega does blow others out of the water is on the clarity of their dials and finishes. the crystals seem invisible, the dials just seem to be floating...it's a thing of beauty. Bracelets are brilliant too.

ICONO likes this.
  11. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Mar 23, 2015

How did you know I'd just quit smoking? And I do eat beans and rice due to being a veggie. I do both these things and I'm still on the bones of my arse.

dougiedude and OmegaRookie like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2015

I'm a vegetarian too so baked beans on toast with nandos XXHot sauce mixed in has helped pay for many a timepiece.

dougiedude likes this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 23, 2015

I never thought that either a diet of ramen or baked beans could lead to additional watches...let me check in with my better half and see what she says.

Of course I think we all can recall eating ramen, mac and cheese (powder kind), 29 cent hamburgers at McDonalds (I would bring my own slices of cheese), 40 oz malt liquors, etc., but back in those days I was not thinking about watches. The good ol days.

jordn and jcmartinez98 like this.
  14. Shem Mar 23, 2015

I love Omega, but if I had to pick an area where I think they sometimes fall short of Rolex in particular, it would be build quality. When I had my Yacht-Master, the bracelet had no play, the fit and finish was perfect, there were no seams, no mismatched end links and lugs, and both the brushing and the polishing were much better than my Omegas. Now, I agree about Omega's wonderful AR crystals and incredible, unique dials, which are both areas where Rolex in particular falls short (though it seems from this year's Basel that they've got it in their head to improve).

15. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2015

First off, I'm a meatatarian. Must have been a velociraptor in a previous life.

Second, it's good business to escalate your product perception in the public's eye. If you double your price, but lose half your customers, you make more profit with less potential service & quality control problems. It's obvious people are still buying Omegas so they must be doing something right.

Finally, any manufacturer of ANY product will try to get their new & exclusive technology with all it's totally excellent features out to the consumer as soon as possible. They want the marketing advantage. This explains why there were issues with the first iterations of the Coaxial escapement. It also explains auto recalls.

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 23, 2015

Yes and no, Toyota may have tons of recalls, audio not as much, Mercedes not as much, rolls.even less. I get that Omega, like Rolex, is not at the top of luxury watches. But they are high Enough and definitely at the top of luxury sports watches and tool watches. Once you charge mortgage prices for your product the expectation is that you can be a little patient and careful with your releases. That or place beta testing pricing for first releases.

ICONO likes this.
  17. watchsk Mar 23, 2015

As many have said already, Omega has been coming out with innovations both with designs of the watches as well as the technical features. Their watches have attractive dials and the casework has excellent finish. I have had different versions of the Co Axial movement and they have been quite accurate. The most recent Seamaster 300 runs about 2 seconds off a day. Its a personal choice but I like the see through backs to be able to see the movements. All that being said, the Omega stainless steel line has basically moved from watches that used to be 1000-5000 price point to watches that are in the 5000-12000 price point. It cuts some collectors out of the new watch market and places limits on many people in terms of how many of these pieces that can afford. I don't know if it is better or worse than years ago.

18. OmegaRookie Mar 23, 2015

Event Horizon and Dsio, you guys should write for Coronation St, it would be a better show. I love the dry humour.. I've laughed out loud and had to read the thread to my wife.
    Thanks

19. iLuveketchup Mar 23, 2015

Omega's recent offerings (specifically the 'sides of the moon') have devalued the brand image (to me). Differing color ways should be reserved to t-shirts & sneakers. Just IMO.

ICONO likes this.
  20. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 24, 2015

I am totally getting the gold FOIS. That thing just looks wonderful