Forums Latest Members
  1. CheckifReal Jun 26, 2020

Hi Omega Peeps,

Im wanting to buy this watch (350 Euros)... but the condition is too good for its age.
    Is this a replica or a Frankenstein Omega with different parts on it? Is it worth the price?
    Im really liking this Model overall,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you in advance, you would help me out tons.

2. ConElPueblo Jun 26, 2020

Hi @CheckifReal, welcome to OF :)

The watch has been fairly heavily polished, seems to have a bent lug at 7 o'clock, a wrong crown and hands and has been redialed.

I hope I am not coming across as being rude, but if you look at this particular watch and come to the above conclusion, you need to spend some time looking at reference material and gain some general knowledge and then some know-how about this reference in particular.

Try googling "Vintage Seamaster 30" and possibly "Omega Seamaster 30 site:0megaforums.net" (substitute the "0" with an "o") and you'll dig up looooooads of source material.

Good hunting :)

CheckifReal likes this.
  3. CheckifReal Jun 26, 2020

Youre absolutely right, I have close to no knowledge on these models - it just looked super polished to me - thus my conclusion.
    Would you consider it fair for its price?

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 26, 2020

You sound determined to acquire this.

Bear in mind that whatever you pay you will probably never recover that value, and it may need a service.

That said, if you’re just looking for a watch to wear that you’ve ‘fallen for’, then buy it on the basis that you could get a cheaper and potentially more reliable watch for less money.

If this is the case, haggle about the price. It’s not like you’ll have much competition from any knowledgeable Omega fan.

CheckifReal and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. killer67 Jun 26, 2020

I think I 350€ is too much for this condition with a refinished dual

CheckifReal likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jun 26, 2020

What @Spruce said.

A collector will not value this watch at all, but that should not keep you from enjoying it if you like it :)

Spruce and CheckifReal like this.
  7. CheckifReal Jun 26, 2020

Im amazed by the fast and awesome answers, already loving this forum. My main question now : I dont want to be wearing something that is not considered original Omega...
    Is this watch considered a "replika" due to all the refurbishments?

ps: not replica maybe but i couldnt find a better word hehe.
    Thanks Guys...

Edited Jun 26, 2020
  8. Edward53 Jun 26, 2020

It's not a replica or a fake, it's just not in the condition a collector would want. I can't add to what @ConElPueblo said about that, but I can offer a piece of useful advice: don't try finding ways to convince yourself that this watch is worth buying. It isn't. If you like this style, move on from this watch and look for a similar one with a case that's not overpolished or damaged, the right Omega crown, and most importantly an original dial in good condition. It's not easy as you won't be able to identify one without looking at an awful lot of photos.

ChiefMark likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Jun 26, 2020

While I agree in general with the above, I don't see why no-one should find this watch worth buying. Sure, it is not a collector's watch and it never will be*, but so isn't any Daniel Wellington or similar fashion watch. That the buying price cannot be reclaimed by putting it for sale here doesn't mean that a buyer shouldn't care for it.

A good Omega Seamaster 30 would be, what, $400-500 or so? That would be the kind of watch a "collector" would look for instead, but it could take time and skill to dig one up.

*I like this one better than a few of similarly priced watches in our own sales section…

Spruce and CheckifReal like this.
  10. Edward53 Jun 26, 2020

OK I'll qualify my statement. It's not worth buying if you want a collector grade watch.

CheckifReal and ConElPueblo like this.
  11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 26, 2020

We’d all like to acquire the perfect watch at an ideal price but, unless you’re incredibly lucky or well connected, it probably isn’t going to happen yet.

Most of us, bitten by the vintage watch bug, have started small, often with a watch that we just like the look of and that we’ll enjoy wearing; that’s a little different to the watches we see everyone else wearing; and made by a prestigious brand that we could probably not afford or even aspire to afford.

I’m assuming you’re in this category because, if you’re in a financially better position, I can see why you’re bothering with a €350 watch and asking for advice on OF.

So, do what most of us have done. Buy what you can afford. Wear it with pleasure. Look out for and learn about better watches and, over the years and when you can afford to do so, improve your collection.

It’s likely, if you follow that course, whilst you’ll retain your affection for your early acquisition, it’ll spend more and more time in your watch drawer superseded by a better (and probably more costly) piece of wrist candy.

CheckifReal likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Jun 26, 2020

CheckifReal and Spruce like this.
  13. CheckifReal Jun 26, 2020

Thanks guys,

I like ConElPueblos point of view... i just just the way the watch looks. I dont care about the resell value nor the price tbh ( i could afford a new one, but im new to the watch game and like the vintage look more than the modern ones ) but i do care care about the brand omega and that the watch is considered original...

14. ConElPueblo Jun 26, 2020

It is worth noting that "considered original" is a point of contest. I would never call the watch original myself, as there has been too much work done on the dial and the hands are incorrect. From my point of view, there is nothing about the watch that smells of it having been put together to deceive anyone and the looks isn't totally different from how it would have looked to begin with.

If you intend to stay in "the watch game" for a while, you'd be better off with finding a more correct specimen as you might experience that your tastes changes and you may wish to sell it on.

CheckifReal and Edward53 like this.
  15. Sherbie Jun 26, 2020

You have already been given some excellent advice

if you buy this watch, i will guarantee, that in 3 months time you will regret it - as you will notice the bent/heavily polished 7 o’clock lug and the poor redial every time you look at the watch on your wrist

move on and buy a better example

perks713, CheckifReal and ChiefMark like this.
  16. Edward53 Jun 26, 2020

I'll second that guarantee....

CheckifReal and ChiefMark like this.
  17. CheckifReal Jun 26, 2020

Can i use this thread to post other Models i find? Your opinion is worth gold to me guys :D.

18. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 26, 2020

Better to make a new thread for each watch, less confusing.

CheckifReal likes this.