Forums Latest Members
  1. all-x Jan 4, 2018

Hello everybody,

While visiting for the holidays, I got to handle a watch that I've chalked up as probably a fake a while back.

As I had the tools to open it, I decided to give it a shot, as I was told that it stopped working after the owner swam with it many years ago.

When I opened it, I saw that it's an omega cal 1010, with visible signs of water damage (some of the screws are rusted / black and gunked up).

The stem can't be pulled as I suppose it's rusted up as well, so didn't force it.

As the watch has sentimental value to the owner, I was wondering if anybody could asses how badly damaged the movement is?

Coud this be fixed with a deep clean?

Would the movement need to be replaced (I read that they aren't very reliable?).

The case is gold plated from what I could see on the caseback and bracelet (20 microns).

As a rough idea, what would be the cost of fixing it? And what would be the value of the watch after it's fixed? and in this condition?

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Delroyb Jan 4, 2018

Without taking the movement apart it is hard to fully assess the damage, but I've seen movements in a far worse state of repair revived. However, whether it would be cost effective is a different matter. Though as you say this is a sentimental case, that may not be a concern.