Forums Latest Members
  1. Ioannes Sep 16, 2016

I bought an Omega Tresor recently and continue to be fascinated with it. It is truly a beautiful watch. It's a piece of mechanical perfection.

One feature, though, seems odd to me. I knew winding was required (one of its attractions), but what surprised me was the number of turns required to wind it. Normally I rewind it fully each night. It requires between 100 and 150 twists of the crown. It's not really a problem, but that seems excessive. Is that normal for mechanical watches or is this something unique to the Tresor? I did confirm that it will run 2-1/2 days on a full winding, though it takes something like 350 twists of the crown if the watch is allowed to run down completely.

Comments?

2. zinzan8 Sep 16, 2016

Short twists?

Look at the Omega logo on the crown. Twist until the logo is rotated 360 degrees. Count how many of those full rotations it takes to wind your Tresor. I bet it's a lot fewer than 100.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 16, 2016

All that winding on a piece with sixty hours reserve, something amiss ?

4. alam Sep 16, 2016

that's a cool looking watch but many of us can't think without pictures.... :)

DIV and Tritium like this.
  5. Alex_TA Sep 17, 2016

In your honor I winded mine up from zero to full stop, it took 77 rounds.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited Sep 17, 2016
    Fordex, alam, Ree and 3 others like this.
  6. meganfox17 Sep 17, 2016

That's the Omega GC wore on his wedding day[emoji3] That's So Vintage-ly Cool !

Edited Sep 17, 2016
    Alex_TA and Gavlin like this.
  7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 17, 2016

That seems odd. My cal. 321s take about 35 winds and my Panerai 338 (also 60 hours power reserve) is about the same.

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 17, 2016

probably depends on the "rate of reduction" between the crown-stem and the mainspring ... some movements might be more direct (but harder to wind) and others may have more of a reduction - so you need to make more turns - but it turns very lightly.

I have a very nice 2893 that winds like its broken (no discernable resistance on the crown when winding) - freaked me out at the beginning ... but sure enough after 5 or so turns it fired right up ...

9. Ioannes Sep 18, 2016

Thanks for responding to my question. I counted the turns by measuring the number of twists with my thumb and forefinger. What I called a turn (or twist) is probably less than a full 360 degree rotation of the crown. But the number of twists were what I think most people would regard as a natural movement before the next twist was started. You quoted 77 turns. Was that what was needed if the watch was fully run down or the number of turns you apply each day? Thanks again for your response! I see you have the gold version too. I like the watch so much I am tempted to wear it when I probably shouldn't due to risk of damage.

10. Alex_TA Sep 18, 2016

I do not wear the watch every day, only on special occasions. That's why I wind it from the stop. If I was wearing it each day I believe it took less turns because it was still running.

Anyway, I do not think that you have problem whilst the watch is keeping accuracy and power reserve.

11. DIV Mar 24, 2018

Beautiful piece!
    We need more photos please!