Omega Trench watch advice

Hello everyone

This is my first post here so please be patient with me as I’m finding my way, any assistance would very much appreciated. I very recently came across an as advertised ‘ as a Vintage 40mm Enamel WW1 era Omega trench watch, the seller doesn’t claim a year of manufacture, just says 1910’s.

I have zero knowledge on early Omega Trench watches so thought it best to ask those who do.

I really like the look of this watch but have no idea if it’s period correct or not. Basically I have no idea what I might be getting myself into. I have attached several photos that show its condition. I look forward to hearing from those who do know. … cheers Terry

Really curious why the seller does not provide a photo looking directly at the dial...

Looks a bit like a pocketwatch case, too. I'm not an expert by any means, though.

Really curious why the seller does not provide a photo looking directly at the dial...

He actually did, I just didn’t upload it, sorry my bad.

Looks like a converted pocket watch with a new fantasy dial.

Like 4
I'm no expert either, but...I quite like it, however I have doubts about that dial....it seems too good and clean to be the the same age as the watch is supposed to be.
And as the seconds sub dial is at 9 'o' clock instead of the more normal 6 'o' clock position I suspect that it is indeed a pocket watch conversion with a new dial to suit the change in orientation. in fact the whole thing looks a bit too clean and tidy for it's age.
I'd expect those lugs wouldn't be so straight and unworn at that age.

So long as you don't pay too much and are happy to have a bitsa, then by all means go for it, but it will never be worth much.
As to how much you should pay.....that would depend on how much you like it, despite the fact that is what it is and only ever will be

N.B. a bitsa is Aussie slang, for something cobbled up from bits of this and bits of that

Like 1
If you do get one like this with an original dial, it’ll have a lot of radium on it. Some folks are cool with that, others, not so much

Like 1
Actually if it has a radium dial it might actually be as old as claimed.
Radium dials lose their luminance with time, but will glow like buggery when you shine an ultra violet light on them

I don’t s’pose there is a better pic of what is engraved and stamped on the inside of the case back.

I don’t s’pose there is a better pic of what is engraved and stamped on the inside of the case back.

Unfortunately not, I was expecting it would be a bitsa which I’m kind of ok with, as long as it’s not mainly new replica parts.

cheers Terry

Many of us consider the dial as 50% of a watch.

An early pocket watch, 1907 to 1915 or so. Movement is very worn and tired looking so would probably be a money pit if parts were needed.
Dial would most likely have been vitreous enamel ("porcelain"). Current dial is a replacement made to look old.

Omega did produce wrist watches from 1900 onwards and often used pocket watch cases, but from the smaller ladies models, but I don't think this is one of them.

Like 1
Many of us consider the dial as 50% of a watch.
That's exactly correct: 50% for the dial, 50% for the case, and 50% for the movement.

:p

Like 2
That's exactly correct: 50% for the dial, 50% for the case, and 50% for the movement.

:p

Ok, so 33% for the dial then. … ;)

That’s way too rich, AUS $120 would be absolute top dollar for such a bitsa and that’s only because everything in Oz is more expensive than everywhere else

to compare the lume: Benson , sterling case, enamel dial, radium (lume from hands removed IMO)

Ben mb.JPG

What s the diameter of your Omega?

Like 1
Thanks everybody for the feedback, so I have decided to pass on this one. I’ll keep looking for a better example of the same vintage.

cheersTerry

Hello everyone

This is my first post here so please be patient with me as I’m finding my way, any assistance would very much appreciated. I very recently came across an as advertised ‘ as a Vintage 40mm Enamel WW1 era Omega trench watch, the seller doesn’t claim a year of manufacture, just says 1910’s.

I have zero knowledge on early Omega Trench watches so thought it best to ask those who do.

I really like the look of this watch but have no idea if it’s period correct or not. Basically I have no idea what I might be getting myself into. I have attached several photos that show its condition. I look forward to hearing from those who do know. … cheers Terry
I have a Vintage 1930's Borgel cased Omega in 9ct gold. It's in lovely condition and shows the elegant screw down bezel and hinged movement. Mart.

IMG_E1065 - Copy.JPG

IMG_E1054 - Copy.JPG

IMG_E1053 - Copy.JPG

IMG_E1044.JPG

IMG_E1042.JPG

IMG_E1038.JPG

IMG_E1034 - Copy.JPG