Forums Latest Members

Omega Tokyo 2020 Red Bezel: very loose crown, runs fast...

1. Dualmonitors Jan 25, 2020

Dear All:

I just bought and received my Omega Speedmaster Tokyo 2020 Red Bezel. Everything looks real: box, papers, watch, 2 red cards, small cardboard leaflet, etc. I even went to my local Omega Boutique to resize the bracelet. All fine.

I discovered that the winding crown is very easy to wind, i.e. without much friction at all. My other Speedmasters, granted that they are older pieces, all seem to have more friction - a lot more. This watch also runs fast: around 1 minute fast PER DAY!

the watch looks completely new, and i just got it 1 1/2 weeks ago.

i'm thinking: the winding crown's gasket comes WITH the winding crown, so there can't be anything like forgetting to put the crown's gasket on, as it comes with the gasket pre-installed in the crown when you get a new crown. That means that it couldn't have been due to a watchmaker assembling my watch and "forgetting" to put the winding crown's gasket in!

why it runs so fast: 1 minute fast per day? I have no idea.

May i please ask the good folks here on this forum if anyone might have ideas as to why the two issues mentioned above might be the case?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. redpcar Jan 25, 2020

Pics?
    If the gasket is missing from the crown, there would also be wobble.
    Is it under warranty?

3. Dualmonitors Jan 25, 2020

thanks for your reply, @redpcar.

there is nothing you can see from the outside. there is no wobble of the crown at all.

it's just that winding the crown feels very smooth, i.e. very little resistance, and also it runs fast by around 1 minute per day.

4. redpcar Jan 25, 2020

So it is this watch? Can you fully wind the watch? In other words, wind until you reach a stop? Your question about a crown gasket can't be related to the watch running fast.

upload_2020-1-25_17-14-12.png

5. Evitzee Jan 25, 2020

If it's under warranty send it in for regulating and tell them about the very loose winding feel. Something isn't right.

Japanred and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Dualmonitors Jan 25, 2020

i'm hoping that maybe @Archer might be so kind as to chime in, please.

regarding answers to the above two posts:

- yes, i can wind until i reach a full stop.

- my "crown with very little resistance" question is unrelated to my watch running fast question. They are about this same watch, yes.

It most definitely is under warranty, as it is brand new.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 25, 2020

The gasket is part of the crown, so unlikely to be missing.

Running a minute fast...well that’s a bit much. When you fully wind it and place it flat on a table dial up, if you put your ear to the watch (not picking it up) does it ick normally, or does sound a bit like a horse galloping?

8. Dualmonitors Jan 25, 2020

@Archer: thank you so much for your prompt reply.

- Gasket: ok, good, no worries there then.

- Running a minute fast per day/ear to watch to listen: well, it is very hard to hear(!) the ticking! somehow, the sound is well contained! i pressed my ear directly on the sapphire crystal and pressed my ear hard on it and finally heard the ticking. i can't really tell if it sounds different, but it sounds to me like it is normal ticking. i can't be certain though.

i'll set the time tonight again to my phone and then observe it more carefully over the few days. i know for sure that it runs a minute fast (approximately) within a day or two, but i don't know if it's one day exactly or 1 1/2 days.

i can't believe their quality control is so shoddy! you'd think with modern technology, modern techniques, that they would have superior tolerances!

- Re: amount of friction felt when winding the crown -- it's hard to describe how much friction I felt, but it is less than most sports watches but similar to most dress watches, I'd say. I think most sports watches have more robust weather sealing around the crown, so I'm guessing that that creates a tighter seal, and therefore, more friction is felt when I wind sports watches. May I ask if anyone might be so kind as to pitch in with a modern Speedmaster to see how much friction they feel please? Thank you!

Edited Jan 25, 2020
  9. cholack Jan 26, 2020

Why don’t you show us a video

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  10. Dualmonitors Jan 26, 2020

A video of me winding the crown? How would I show the minimal friction felt by me during winding?

11. redpcar Jan 26, 2020

Why not simply go to an Omega store and compare one of their floor models to yours?

12. Dualmonitors Jan 26, 2020

The watch is a Japan-only model. They issued 5 colors with various cosmetic features, each color corresponding to one ring of the Olympics logo.

As such, these watches are available only from Japan.

A friend of mine saw mine and also bought one and just received his, so i'll have a chance to feel his winding crown when i meet up with him.

13. LeonDeBayonne Jan 26, 2020

Apart from cosmetics and the glass, the watch is 100% similar to a regular speedy. So @redpcar advice sounds reasonable.

Japanred and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  14. Dualmonitors Jan 26, 2020

True. That's good advice.

I'll try out/feel the winding crown of my friend's watch this week first. If that still doesn't satisfy me, I'll go to an Omega Boutique to try their floor samples out.

Thank you gentlemen.

15. Fickle Jan 26, 2020

I have the same watch as you and out of my speedies it’s the one with the least resistance to wind. Mine runs at +4 secs/day.

Maybe try checking for magnetism? I use the LEPSI Watch Magnetism app as a first check if the timekeeping goes a bit awry.

16. Hduck Jan 26, 2020

I have the 50th Apollo 11 and it winds with less friction than my regular Pro. Mind you it has the 3861 rather than the 1861 but i think the spring and barrel are probably similar.

I bought a timeograph from Amazon for about 130. Very easy to use. I use it to check all my watches. I think getting one might benefit you

17. Dualmonitors Jan 29, 2020

Thanks @Fickle and @Hduck, et al, for chiming in to help me out. I appreciate it very much.

Today, I was able to meet up with my friend who just bought the same watch. Well, our watches both offered very little resistance and felt the same when we wound them as a test.

Thanks.

I still have not yet solved the riddle of why my watch seems to run fast by 1 minute per 24 hours when laying on its 9 o'clock side. very odd. however, when laying dial up, it seems to keep good time. i can't figure out how to use an Android app that would allow me to measure a watch's accuracy. the Android WatchCheck sounded good, but i just couldn't figure out how to use it, despite reading its website's directions. strange.

2 Omega Tokyo 2020  2020-01-29 13.42.37 Small.jpg
  18. redpcar Jan 29, 2020

$100 to $150 on Amazon

upload_2020-1-29_17-21-50.png

19. Evitzee Jan 29, 2020

So how does your watch run when on your wrist? Have you wound it fully in the morning, strapped it on, and gone about your daily life for 4 or 5 days? Don't get hung up on positional variations, what is really important is how it runs in the real world. In my opinion too many people fret about how it runs crown up, dial up, etc. Just wear it and report back, then you can determine if it needs to be adjusted. I suspect it will not.

20. Hduck Jan 29, 2020

redpcar likes this.