Forums Latest Members
  1. Adamtrigg10 Jun 13, 2018

Looking at getting an omega tin tin. Thoughts/opinions?!

2. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jun 13, 2018

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 13, 2018

What is "worth it"?

$2,000 USD?

$4,000 USD?

$6,00 USD?

And in what condition? It would be helpful to have the question fleshed out a little more.

I have owned mine for close to 2 years now. I bought it lightly used for about 30% less then they seem to be going for now. It is my primary watch; I wear it probably 90% of the time, and split the rest between a Sinn UX, PO, vintage Speedy, some new Speedies and some Trilogy watches. If it's value keeps increasing, at some point I may reconsider using it as my primary watch.

frazierspa, Horai551, blubarb and 4 others like this.
  4. sevenhelmet Jun 13, 2018

Sure do love mine!

upload_2018-6-13_21-58-13.jpeg

5. Green_Ranger Jun 14, 2018

I've always liked the Tin Tin and from what I hear they are available at pretty low prices which is attractive

Adamtrigg10 likes this.
  6. mr_yossarian Jun 14, 2018

no.

bazderome likes this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 14, 2018

I bought one. Did not work for me so I sold it.

I prefer the Gemini 4. Hands down the best Speedmaster LE.

Adamtrigg10 and hanky6 like this.
  8. Green Omega Jun 15, 2018

No. The Trilogy Speedmaster for a piece of Speedy history.

htiek, BLAUGRANA and Adamtrigg10 like this.
  9. BLAUGRANA Jun 15, 2018

While I agree with you were I to choose and considering the fact you can get a trilogy Speedmaster for less than MSRP, I still think the Tintin has merit. Of course there's the first thing to consider, does one like it enough to wear it? Also though, I think the hype surrounding it and the fact they're being snapped up will help drive up it's value.

Green Omega likes this.
  10. Tik-Tok of Oz Jun 15, 2018

If you like it. Buy it. You can always sell it on later. Right now it’s the only Speedmaster I presently own.

bent_remy, Horai551, blubarb and 2 others like this.
  11. Green Omega Jun 16, 2018

For me, it’s too similar to the moonwatch except for the red marks on the minute markers. I was just wondering why the “current hype” since the said model has been there for quite a while. No disrespect meant to the current owner of Tintin.

12. sevenhelmet Jun 16, 2018

It depends on what you consider "too similar". Those red/white checkers make a pretty big difference to visibility of the watch. Also, rather than the fairly flat black finish on the base model Speedmaster, the Tin Tin dial has a matte, almost metallic finish. Both of those factors seem to make it "pop" a lot more than the original Moonwatch.

I'm not sure what started the current hype around the model. I happened to read quite a bit about it, and the design grew on me over time. I decided to get one recently, right as the hype seemed to be peaking (though not the price, thank God.) People seem to have finally "noticed" this watch against the white noise of all the other Omega LEs. Some of the hype seems to be the rareness of the model- some people think it'll be the next Speedy Racing. It's not known exactly how many were sold to the public. Estimates vary, but likely less than 2000 were sold, many of them in the Far East. That may have something to do with the "delayed hype" of this model. Some of the hype is also centered around the fact that the Tin Tin is an unfinished concept, which I could see turning a lot of people off the idea of having one.

Either way, I didn't buy my Tin Tin as an "investment". I bought my Tin Tin as a keeper and wearer due to its unique history and looks. I'm very slowly expanding my collection of Speedmasters, and this one seems like a solid addition. Like every watch in my collection, the Tin Tin has got a story.

ptfly, Skipper_S, bent_remy and 6 others like this.
  13. blubarb Jun 16, 2018

The Tintin is becoming harder to source now, so if you can find one and it sings to you, seriously consider it.

Current guesstimates are circa 2000 dials produced and approx 500 with the rocket illustration on the dial shelved or destroyed.

As for the hype ,who cares as long as you like it and will wear it. :D

Skipper_S, Horai551 and Green Omega like this.
  14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 16, 2018

Whenever I put on the '67, the dial feels a lot bigger to me then the Tintin dial. The red/ white makes a big difference.

Green Omega likes this.
  15. stefman Jun 17, 2018

Wonder if it was a good thing Omega didn’t get the rights to the actual Tintin. A small red and white rocket at the 9 o’clock subdial would have been less interesting than this dial

frazierspa and BLAUGRANA like this.
  16. Owlsu Jun 17, 2018

I wouldn't personally buy anything colourful or "fun" as my main or only watch. I'd go for a safe monochrome black/white choice as number one then add whatever I want after that.

17. sevenhelmet Jun 17, 2018

It was allegedly going to be at the 11 o'clock position, above the seconds subdial. There's a lot of info to be found in the Tin Tin information gathering thread (also linked above.)

stefman likes this.
  18. smitty190373 Jun 17, 2018

I've been quite intrigued by this reference lately. Are there any available images of the original intended dial design, including the rocket?

I guess there are a few original dials locked away in the Omega vaults somewhere.

19. sevenhelmet Jun 17, 2018

It's in the thread I just linked. Anyone who is interested in the Tin Tin should really take a look, there is a lot of unique info there.

frazierspa likes this.
  20. smitty190373 Jun 17, 2018

I have read the thread but didn't see any actual photos of the museum tin tin dial, unless I missed it. Plenty of opinions and an artist sketch of what it may look like.

It's a great thread and agree there is a lot of interesting info.