Forums Latest Members
  1. Brit guy Dec 18, 2015

image.jpg hi just joined. I was bought a watch in 73 as I needed one for work. Worn it on and off most days but a few years ago needs it fixing after an over wind. Went back to omega historical department for quite a while but got it back and wear it quite often . Recently I've become aware it's a quite rare thin arrow no on back is 6645. 101000 6B/542 3590/ 53 any idea of worth. I wouldn't sell it mind as my late father bought it for me all those years ago

image.jpg
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 18, 2015

Love the TA watches. In this case, relume and case refinishing hurt value a bit. Still a $3k watch and up - and at these prices IMO massively undervalued.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 18, 2015

Others can chime in - but I must say that if this watch is legit - you're messing with Pandora's box.

If you don't want to sell it and you are told it is valuable, you might no longer feel comfortable keeping it and you might even be tempted to sell your father's watch.

If you're told it's a fake or redone and is virtually worthless, you also might feel less inclined to enjoy it.

:eek:

Sometimes ignorance is best. Nothing good can come from an appraisal, if you plan on keeping it! ;)

RawArcher likes this.
  4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 18, 2015

There are basically 3 versions of the RAF 53, with the difference being the dial. The most valued version has the original TA dial as it was delivered from Omega - these are also the most rare. The second most valuable version, are watches that went back to Omega for service and received a replacement TA dial. This was common in for quite some time, until Omega ran out of the TA dials. The third version, is the Fat Arrow with the MoD painted dial.

Based on the fact that you sent yours into service to Omega I would suspect your watch to have the replacement TA dial. We would need higher resolution images to tell for certain.

The ball park figure mentioned here is accurate, but condition would also be impacted by whether you still have the internal anti-magnetic shield and spacer.

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 18, 2015

Looks like an original TA dial just relumed.

6. Brit guy Dec 21, 2015

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 21, 2015

omega factory replacement from the 90`s. kind regards. achim

Toxisi likes this.
  8. Brit guy Dec 21, 2015

9. Brit guy Dec 21, 2015

Which bit?

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 21, 2015

I disagree with Achim - I think the dial is original and relumed from the blurred photo. Will need a sharply focused one to tell for sure one way or the other.

You cal tell by looking at the loops in the numbers 9, 8 and 6. The original ones had larger ones than the factory replacement dials. However in my opinion the factory replacement ones are pretty valuable watches still.

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 21, 2015

sixers and Toxisi like this.
  12. Brit guy Dec 21, 2015

If your saying you've got some 90's replacement fine but the one I have is different. Your numbers are white while mine are more Ivory shade your face is black while mine has what looks like rust dots effect which it had before it went to Omega in about 2012-13

13. Brit guy Dec 21, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg
    Are these any better I would also suggest that the numbers were just cleaned as they have a slight yellow tinge about them image.jpg

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 21, 2015

Sticking to my original impression that the dial is original.

15. Brit guy Dec 22, 2015

Thank you for your replies. The price you suggest goes into single item insurance any thoughts where it would be best to get a value from where they would take the history etc into account?

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 22, 2015

No premium for "history" unless it was worn by a famous person with clear documentation to this effect. As I had mentioned while it is an uncommon watch with fine attributes - TA dial, military issue, antimagnetic, nice size, predecessor of the railmaster etc - it is not properly appreciated by the market today and thus significantly undervalued.