Forums Latest Members
  1. OhmMega Feb 26, 2018

Hello,

I've been offered an Omega TC-1 Time Computer solid gold 18k watch, but the price seems really high as the asking is about 23.5k US$. I don't even know if it has the Omega logo and plaque with reference nmbr and serial nmbr inside as I was instructed to check that the watch has these intact.

Tried to do my search / due diligence with reference to the price, but it appears that such a watch is rare as hens teeth. But is the price really in that region? The watch in itself is so crazy 70s looking that it is rather special compared to anything else but is it 23k$ special?

(Tried searching here also but didn't manage to find anything. Apologies in advance if there's info I am looking for here. Also if this is not worthy a new thread, mods pls do move this thread.)

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 26, 2018

[​IMG]

Interstellar likes this.
  3. OhmMega Feb 26, 2018

I can provide a picture if it is absolutely needed / wanted / demanded.

However, I have not bought the watch and I was merely requesting information about the asking price as to my mind that sounded very high. That being said the watch is rare, but is it that valuable? I do understand that it is an expensive watch yet again 20+k sounds really steep.

Again, input and insight would be greatly appreciated and I can send a picture of the watch if it is absolutely necessary. I would tend to think a person in the know can provide insight without a picture. The watch is in very nice condition but does not have original papers though.

However - like stated above - as I haven't bought the watch I'd rather not submit pictures. I do hope you understand where I am coming from with this. And yes, I do realize everyone likes pictures in these forums. I do as well.

4. Gordon Heavyfoot Feb 26, 2018

I've owned a TC1 in white gold-filled but I've never seen the 18k solid gold iteration in person. I believe they only made 50 or less so valuation is a tough question. In the end it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To my mind 23k is quite steep and there are many other watches I could spend that money on. To a person of the 70's who is looking for the nostalgia factor and has deep pockets I could see that price, just not for me. There is also the fact that a solid 18k version contains a significant amount of gold, not sure exactly how much but I'd guess approaching 250-300 grams. Maybe more. If you buy it post some pics! Cheers.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2018

Stupid question but have you verified it’s a solid gold one?

6. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 26, 2018

Personally I don’t see any reason to pay this money for that watch, unless you really need it and there is no other supply. :)

7. OhmMega Feb 26, 2018

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

@Gordon Heavyfoot Thanks for the insight. 23.5k is quite steep in my opinion also. Even though I am 'made' in the 70s that price makes me think how much I really want it. Or actually don't want with price being so high.

@Foo2rama no such thing as a stupid question (ref. my question :) ) No I haven't verified yet that it is a solid gold one. That would be done before any money exchanges hands of course.

I might be better off walking away from this. I guess it's a bit too special and too much of an acquired taste. Definitely rare but then again..even though I like it it might be a bit too much on the kitsch side of things?

Plus I'd be able to acquire many more nicer looking watches with less money.

8. alam Feb 26, 2018

DF61A90B-236B-4B54-824A-49096FBF7A80.png
  9. OhmMega Feb 26, 2018

Yes I've stumbled into that site upon my search around teh interwebs.

Most likely not worth 23k to me though when I've given it more thought and read your comments.

I'll pass on this and thanks again everyone. You guys took me back to my senses.

10. pedrocarlone Feb 26, 2018

21k sounds far too much. As far as I know Omega never actually made the inards or the case for these so it might have limited appeal to a strict Omega collector. I’d recommend getting the price down a bit if your heart is set on it. If money was no object i’d maybe pay 10k purely because its so curious a piece but thats a value purely off the top of my head.

11. OhmMega Feb 26, 2018

Correct. Omega never made module, it was made by Time Computer (Pulsar) but an original module was quipped with a glued Omega logo and a plaque which has the reference and serial in it. I've read from somewhere that many are missing these and it impacts on the value.

I've came to my senses and decided to walk away from this one. If I need something 70s funky / Elvis style I can always go for a steel TC1 or TC2.

pedrocarlone and ahsposo like this.
  12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 26, 2018

Sanity prevails!

alam likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2018

Solid gold NOS first Swiss digital watch ever???

Idk if it’s over valued at that...

14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 26, 2018

Be better if was a prototype...

15. pedrocarlone Feb 26, 2018

Well its pushing things a bit to even call it “Swiss”. Omega never made the “movement” or the cases. It wasn’t even the first digital watch and what’ll you do if the electronics fail, who would know how to fix it or would it even be fixable?

16. Sherbie Feb 26, 2018

Why not just buy a gold filled or SS version and you’ll have plenty left over for other vintage watches?

17. pedrocarlone Feb 26, 2018

If you love the kitsch 70s look you might want to check out a Rado Dynastar from that period. They are quintessentially 70s disco. Not really to my tastes but each to their own.

Edited Feb 26, 2018
  18. watchlovr Feb 26, 2018

There are people whi can repair/replace the modules.
    The yellow gold filled looks very like the 18k one if you must have your 70’s fix.
    Either that or try an 18k Stardust.
    60560D60-BD33-4EE6-8147-BE4E755F25BF.jpeg

19. lillatroll Feb 26, 2018

I have read that that there are only 6 known examples of the 18k gold version and even the Omega museum does not have one. 23k sounds a bit steep, even for something that is actually rare, not eBay rare.

Edited Feb 27, 2018
  20. gjlelec Dec 8, 2018

Picked up on this old thread. Whilst rare, i doubt one would go for $20k. There are under ten known to still exist worldwide out of a production run of 100. None of this watch was actually produced by Omega, the cases were either made at Star Watch Case in the USA or Fontana in Italy. The module as correctly stated earlier was the standard Cal 1600 (Pulsar) used in all TC1 models. The watch Omega display in the museum in Bienne is indeed a loan watch

Spacefruit and Foo2rama like this.