Forums Latest Members
  1. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

I screwed the pooch big time on my last vintage purchase (which I can hopefully get my money back for) but I've taken some of what you all have said and applied it while looking at some new candidates. The dial does appear to be repainted, looks much too new for that to be its original paint job. But then I'm lost when it comes to vintage. Any input?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the movement looks a bit off - as if it may have been another color before but faded. Probably just me though.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2013

Not a great one, tell you what, have you had a long look through the eBay recommended thread?

http://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-omega-watches-on-ebay-not-inquiries.1790/page-41

This thread contains a LOT of watches that the veteran collectors give a thumbs up to for the benefit of new buyers, also take the time to do as much reading as you can of threads like this: http://omegaforums.net/threads/most-wanted-most-desired-most-valued.4647/

There's so much information here if you keep reading and looking, plenty of photos and information, just take your time and soak it all in, then start narrowing down exactly what you want and what you're prepared to spend, but above all, be patient as the right piece will come along.

Also check out our For Sale forum, there's often some interesting stuff there

3. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

I've just gone on a reading spree as a matter of fact! Been slowly making my way though the "not inquiries" thread since this morning, and the "wanted" thread for an hour or so. Just came back from the for sale forum actually, lots of great stuff. Thanks for the info dsio!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 2, 2013

Your instinct are developing nicely. You are right to be concerned about this one. The gold-filled, US market case is very tired and worn out. You generally will only see salmon colored dials with pink gold cases, and even then, they are quite rare.

Movement looks to be in decent shape. Probably just needs a good cleaning.

You can do better,
    gatorcpa

5. kendrick Apr 2, 2013

I also recommend looking through the 'WRUW', aka what watch are you wearing today thread. I have found it very helpful to see the watches mods and fellow forum members choose to wear, as they are often some of the best examples of vintage and modern watches, (from a variety of brands), you can find. Its a very convenient way to identify which designs and models speak to your taste.

Speaking from personal experience, all of my acquisitions have been inspired by someone on this forum. Its an excellent way to establish a starting point to begin your research.

MKelley likes this.
  6. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

Thanks gator!

7. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

That is an excellent idea! I'm on it!

8. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2013

It actually is a very good idea. Nearly all of us have been through the ringer already so you can speed the learning curve and reduce the expense of a degree in vintage Omega by simply observing what goes on in the WRUW thread, the threads where we vet / criticize potential purchases for members asking, and the recommended eBay watch threads. I think the average amount of collecting experience per moderator is something like 5 years.

9. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

Wow, tons of experience there to pull from. Thanks ulackfocus!