Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: Oversize Art-Deco Tanks - Omega De Ville X2 Big Date

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2023

[​IMG]

In the very early 2000's Omega released the second Museum Collection watch, the 1951 Cosmic limited edition which featured a vintage inspired square case design, the 3944. This watch received such appreciation that it was re-released in a silver dial and a white dial after the initial production run, but being 18K gold and limited edition, it would always be out of reach for many people.

The De Ville X2 came a few years later as a less complicated, yet still interesting big-date watch is a near identical stainless steel case at a much lower price point. [..]

Visit Oversize Art-Deco Tanks - Omega De Ville X2 Big Date to read the full article.

2. cristos71 Jan 24, 2023

Great article as usual which really puts a bright spotlight on this 'unique' Omega design. Whilst I can appreciate the design ethos of the time in deciding to re-use the 3903/3944 vintage case shape after the success of the Museum Cosmic TDMP I think it is a shame and they could better have produced a slightly updated version of the ref 3903 which with it's simple and timeless dial design would have been a cracker (IMHO). As it is I think this DeVille looks a little too brash and flashy.

dsio and TimeODanaos like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2023

They did, that one is coming in Thursday’s article :)

4. TimeODanaos Jan 24, 2023

I don't personslly like the X2, but I really liked the article, just as much as all the others. A wonderful resource, thanks a ton, @dsio !

dsio likes this.
  5. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 24, 2023

Thanks for this very interesting article!

I have always preferred its predecessor, the DeVille Byzantium. Less chunky with a similarly extravagant dial in a classical case. Launched in 2004, it didn't last very long and was replaced by the X2, more in line with its time.

The name 'Byzantium' was chosen because the dial mixed roman and arab numbers, like Byzantium mixed both cultures.
    33.5 mm side, it is smaller and thinner than the X2, with a 2600 Co-Axial inside. Here is mine, bought in 2007 and which I still wear with pleasure. All the scars on the case show its use! (Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, I always have difficulties with black dials) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

patrick1616, efauser and peatnick like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2023

These are actually coming up on Thursday

Tire-comedon and peatnick like this.
  7. Sluggo Feb 1, 2023

What a great watch. I'm (kind of) already on the hunt for my next Omega. I only have one square and/or rectangular cased watch. It's a very 'deco' style Hamilton from 1957. Pretty, pretty watch, but little. This watch looks similar in size. I also want a Constellation Pie pan. It'll be interesting to find what's out there.

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 5, 2023

As many of you know, I picked up an X2 a couple of weeks ago after seeing it listed as one dsio's recommended buys.
    I have to admit that it has grown on me. It is also the first watch that I have received many compliments on from people outside the collecting community. There's no question that watch collectors give it mixed reviews.

Difeer, DaveK and TimeODanaos like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2023

Do you have any wristshots? Its oddly hard to find many shots of them being worn

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 5, 2023

DaveK likes this.