Forums Latest Members
  1. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 7, 2012

Hi all

Here is another recent post that I thought Omega lovers might like:

I took a punt on a new watch very recently which arrived today and I was bowled over with it, I don't know if it is keeper just yet but I wanted to share it with the community as it really is a very rare watch and not one that comes up every day.

[​IMG]

The Omega Speedmaster 'Speedsonic' was introduced in the early 1970's as Omegas flagship chronograph, considerably more expensive than the moon watch or other Omega chronographs and the only one (other than the limited edition Speedy 125) that was Chronometer certified. The Speedsonic was an adaptation of Omegas mombassa movement or as we know it the F300, a mechanical movement which ran on a battery and was controlled by tuning forks which vibrated at a frequency of 300Hz

[​IMG]

The movement was made under licence by Bulova, the chronograph version then adapted with basically and extra 'layer' for the chronograph operation. The Speedsonic was made in a few variations, most well known is the standard cushion case Speedsonic which came in SS or Gold plate with a number of dial variations, less common and considerably rarer is the Speedsonic 'Lobster', know because in bracelet form the bracelet resembles a lobster tail.

[​IMG]

Anyway, this came up on offer recently so I jumped, the bracelet I find it uncomfortable to wear so have opted to use the leather strap option, many people aren't aware that the Lobster was also sold on leather or corfam as per the images.

The watch is a treat to wear on leather and really comfortable and substantial, the dial is grey mirror finish which reflect colours extremely well and really sets the piece off.

[​IMG]

Anyway, enough from me just wanted to share it with you

Best wishes Tom

2. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 7, 2012

Watch on NOS lobster bracelet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Tom

cicindela likes this.
  3. Derek Nov 11, 2012

Hi Tom, what an incredible Speedsonic you have here. I am expecting my Lobster back from a complete overhaul Tuesday. And after a couple years of looking I was able to purchase a nos lobster bracelet for it this week. Would love to know the story behind yours. It seems like these are very undervalued and very rarely talked about. It's a shame because this piece marks a very interesting time in Omega's history. From what I understand this was designed as their flagship chronograph.

Would love to know some history behind your watch.

4. ulackfocus Nov 11, 2012

I actually like this better on leather despite that being one of the coolest & funkiest bracelets of all.

..... and I still want to register a secondary screen name of "and Harry" then use it to post immediately after every one of Tom Dick's posts. :D

5. Derek Nov 14, 2012

I have ordered a custom strap for this, I'm sure I will rotate between the two. I was really surprised as to just how difficult this bracelet was to source. I just had no idea they were that rare. Any idea on what the market value is on his watch? I think a Speedmaster Pro pre-moon may be calling my name.

6. Wheels Nov 16, 2012

Mine says hi!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353064915.872274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353064939.223056.jpg

As would his close relative, the cushion case Speedsonic, but I sold her recently. Still, here is a photo!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353065008.814884.jpg

Cheers
    Paul

Trev likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Not sure if I would wear this, but love the dial Tom, super looking watch :thumbsup:

8. Derek Nov 16, 2012

Very cool! Wonder how many people on this forum have one?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Not sure but there are definitely at least 3-4. Is it true that if you put one of these watches into a put of boiling water, you can hear it scream?

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

No, you have to be wearing it to hear the scream. :rolleyes:

11. Wheels Nov 17, 2012

More of a whine really ;)

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2012

Last time I made that joke about lobsters in boiling water I got into trouble lol

Wheels likes this.
  13. Derek Nov 17, 2012

Haha I remember that, that guy certainly didn't get your sense of humor!

14. Ray916MN Nov 27, 2012

[​IMG]

Although the Lobster gets the glory the cushion case version has some great presence and probably stands the test of time better. It draws more comments when I wear. Tissot Navigator "Lobster" thrown in the pic for good measure.