Forums Latest Members

OHPF Omega Speedsonic ‘Lobster’, stunning and overhauled ‘strapper’ with 4 X bands box and tags

1. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 8, 2016

Evening all

For sale is my lovely Speedsonic Lobster ‘strapper’ so known because it is the non bracelet version of the watch

I bought this example from Switzerland, near unworn with original band and omega tags, the band was corfam and beyond salvation but it was also supplied with a period Omega sharkskin band, the watch has been to my watchmaker and been fully check, overhauled, stripped and rebuilt and regulated including new English date wheels

FullSizeRender[1].jpg

This is an absolutely lovely example of an Omega Speedmaster Speedsonic Lobster! Probably one of the rarest of Omega chronographs and rarest Speedmaster models.

FullSizeRender[2].jpg

Anyway, I wouldn’t think it needs much introduction to Omega enthusiasts but just incase; The Omega Speedmaster 'Speedsonic' was introduced in the early 1970's as Omegas flagship chronograph, considerably more expensive than the moon watch or other Omega chronographs and the only one (other than the limited edition Speedy 125) that was Chronometer certified. The Speedsonic was an adaptation of Omegas mosaba movement or as we know it the F300, a mechanical movement which ran on a battery and was controlled by tuning forks which vibrated at a frequency of 300Hz

FullSizeRender.jpg

The movement was made under licence by Bulova, the chronograph version then adapted with basically and extra 'layer' for the chronograph operation. The movement in this watch was known as the Mosaba meaning 'montre sans balancier' translates for 'watch with no balance'

This particular type, the Cal 9210, which has a chronograph module atop the generic oscillator module of the 9162/4 and a modified drivetrain module. The chronograph module was developed in secret by Dubois Dépraz at the behest of ESA and was caused quite a stir when launched 1972 as the worlds first electronic Chronograph

The Speedsonic was made in a few variations, most well known is the standard cushion case Speedsonic which came in SS or Gold plate with a number of dial variations, less common and considerably rarer is the Speedsonic 'Lobster'.

The lobsters are rare watches and of the 10000 9210’s made in total production only a small percentage were lobster variant so to find one in this condition is very rare, when new these where flagship chronographs, costing 1/3rd more than the range topping flight master.

IMG_0900.JPG

Condition:

Case: Completely original and in remarkable preserved condition (pushers original, crown later service replacement)

Case-back: Completely original with very clear hippocampus (a few light marks)

Dial and hands: Original mirror dial in stunning condition with original hands, there are a few tiny marks on the sub dials but nothing that detracts and the mirror finish (unlike so many) is superb (a few light age related marks), these really are the stand out items on the Lobster along alongside the obvious appearance of the case and BCT!

Crystal/ Tachy: perfect and NOS

Movement: Running exactly as it should and all functions working perfectly

Bracelet: Lobster ends (someone has put some pin holes in them at some point to allow strap removal, doesn’t detract), they show a few light signs of age and a couple of very light dinks but overall excellent. Supplied with 3 X period cusotmised Rally bands (black, burgundy and blue) and original Omega correct period buckle and and original Omega sharkskin (which is short) again customised to fit

Box: The watch is presented with its original box, the hinges where damaged and I have repaired, the box is sturdy again and working as it should.

IMG_0895.JPG

It is a stunning and complete set and the buyer also gets peace of mind of no nasty date wheel issues lurking round the corner

I am looking for a very firm £1395 for the full package!

IMG_0899.JPG

You will not find a nicer example, running perfectly, serviced and refinished watch out there and strappers are far rarer than BCT models and this one comes with not one but three period original rally bands.

IMG_0894.JPG

Payment via BT or paypal as a gift (or you cover fees), shipping via RMSD or International signed for

Cheers Tom

Edited Apr 8, 2016
    ahartfie, tdn-dk, zambo and 11 others like this.
  2. GregH Apr 8, 2016

I really appreciate your wonderful write up (and your others as well) and wish you good luck with the sale of this interesting and beautiful speedsonic!

tinger and JohnSteed like this.
  3. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 8, 2016

Thanks Greg

It's a wonderful piece and these strapper are really quite rare! Great news is they also accommodate a traditional lobster bracelet!

Thank also for the compliment, I'm a firm believer that there is nothing worse than those god awful (thankfully not on omega forum) sales post in which the seller professes to have an interest in watches then makes no effort to list their items with either good pics (I accept mine are not the best pics) and or without showing any passion in their watch

The sonic deserves more, they are (IMHO) tremendously good buys at the moment and with great people like Paul (silver hawk) and STS still working on them they will inveitably outlast all of us

JohnSteed, GregH and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Apr 8, 2016

Beautiful watch Tom. GLWS.

5. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 9, 2016

Now OHPF elsewhere

JohnSteed, GregH and oddboy like this.
  6. GregH Apr 9, 2016

Congratulations on the sale!
    This passion and the willingness of so many to share it is what drew me to the forum. I'm grateful for the knowledge, but particularly love the stories here.

ahartfie and JohnSteed like this.