Forums Latest Members
  1. milgrad Mar 3, 2013

I was given my grandfathers Speedmaster when he passed away. I don't have many details other than he got it in Switzerland when he overseas during WWII. My grandmother thinks it is from between 1944 and 1946. Attached is a picture of it. Any help would be appreciated. I only have this one picture of it as I just sent it to Omega to get a full service done on it. Milgrub.jpg

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Well, overseas perhaps, but not WW2. The Speedmaster was introduced in 1957, and that version that you show in the 1960s. The real experts will be along in a minute...

3. milgrad Mar 3, 2013

well OK...that clears up some questions...I will have to tell my grandmother. How am I able to tell the exact year? Is Omega directly my best choice for a complete overhaul on it?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

It can be precisely dated by the movement number, but it would have to be opened for that. It's already been serviced at least once, as the minutes subdial hand (the one at 9 o'clock) has been replaced with an imprecise match. There are watchmakers well able to service this outside of Omega, and you'll save a bundle by sending to them, I think. Members N2FHL and Archer are watchmakers in New Jersey and Canada (I know one is a state and the other a country, before you maple leafs start) - either can help you I think.

5. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 3, 2013

If hands dail and pushers are still the genuine ones and only bezel is a replacemen part than it has to be a ST 145.012 which means it dates from the end of the 60ies.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

It is the seconds subdial hand that is off (at 9 o'clock) As Lou stated you would be much better off with a local watchmaker, (US or Canada) that knows what he is doing. Omega can be fine but they will charge you quite a bit more.

Also, if Omega replaces the dial with a service dial it will decrease the value of the watch.

7. milgrad Mar 3, 2013

It was just sent to Omega so I haven't approved anything yet, but I was told it would be approx $1100 for a full restoration. If I send to a local watch maker what would I be looking at? I really do not know anything about this, but want to get it restored as I will wear it some and will give to my son eventually...

8. milgrad Mar 3, 2013

I also have no idea at all approx what this watch is worth...I def will not ever sell, but I want to insure it...Any ideas on value?

9. g-boac Mar 3, 2013

Only looking at the photo you sent, a fair insurance value would be about $3000, and if selling it in a private transaction, around $2500 would be a fair price for both buyer and seller.

The way the restoration will work at Omega is that they'll send it to Switzerland. I have not used Omega in this capacity, but a number of other members have, and have been pleased with their results. If you say nothing to Omega, they will by default restore your watch cosmetically as well as functionally. I'd suggest asking that they do not polish your case, and do not replace your crown, pushers, crystal, dial, or hands (except for the small seconds subdial, which has the wrong hand on it. There is no harm in having any parts required replaced on the movement (the "engine" of the watch), and they will return those replaced parts to you on request (again, state that up front).

You will do much better pricewise using a local watchmaker (Archer is a highly regarded member who posts frequently); where you do benefit from sending in to Omega is if your watch does have mechanical issues that requires new parts. My understanding is that the $1150 or so cost of servicing at Omega includes replacement parts. Perhaps someone here who has used Omega in Bienne can confirm.

You're doing well by posting on here. As long as you're using a watchmaker with references who is familiar with the Speedmaster Pro (archer is one; Nesbits Fine Watch Service in Seattle is another), you'll be fine. The one trap you want to avoid is simply taking your watch in to "any" local jewelry store or "watch repair" kiosk at your local shopping mall.

Good luck!!

Mark

10. milgrad Mar 3, 2013

Thank you for the info. My local jeweler ( very high end ) is an authorized omega dealer initially sent it to Universal Watch Repair in Michigan and based on reviews I read online I asked to get it sent back, so that is reason it is on its way to omega now. It def does need some mechanical parts. What universal watch repair stated it needed was, full disassembly of movement, clean, oil, repair the set system, remove some rust, replace the crystal and seal.