Forums Latest Members
  1. ev3rclear Jan 14, 2015

Hey,

i think i fucked something up. I wanted to adjust the hands of the Chronograph on the Omega Speedmaster Tripe Date because they were slightly off. As i re assambled the watch and plugged in the crown i wanted to test the functions and noticed that the chronograph does not work any more at all. All other functions are good, i can also adjust all fuctions well. but the cronopgraph does not start moving when pushing the buttons.

does anyone know what the mistake could be? would it be possible that the watch movement wasnt sitting 100% correctly in the case? (i never closed it with the back)

3.jpg 2.jpg
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

You could have done a lot of things. As you say the chrono is not starting at all, you might have lost part of the linkage between the pusher and the movement. These parts can be small and hard to see if you lost something.

Start looking around where you were working, first by sight, then by magnet, then by vacuum.

You might have to cut yours loses and see a watchmaker!

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2015

Please describe exactly what you did, step by step. By "adjust" the hands, what do you mean? Did you remove them and press them back on? If so, did you make sure to support the jewels under the hands with a proper movement holder as you were pressing them back on?

When you press the start button for the chronograph, what happens? You say the chronograph does not start, but you don't mention anything about the normal timekeeping train. Also, please post a clear, close shot of the movement, preferably with the rotor removed.

Or, ignore all these questions and take it to someone who knows what they are doing, but this might cost you...

In case it's not clear, this is not something I would recommend doing by yourself with no training, and likely no proper equipment.

Cheers, Al

4. ev3rclear Jan 15, 2015

well its a long story... im running vintage-portfolio.com (im not at all a watchmaker, im just somebody who enjoys aquireing and selling watches for profit which shall be re-invested for more valuable watches) and had a customer for today 10.30 am. i took the watch to my watchmaker at 9.15 and got it back at 9.45.... repair: 15 euro (he readjusted the hands and repaired the things that i fucked up). the watch isself was purchased for 1.5k and sold for 2k (with box and papers)

i had luck this time and wont fuck arround any more. i made two mistakes: 1) i was too lazy to take the watch right away to the watchmaker because one hand was slightly off. and 2) when i had the customer i tried to fix it myself (without any knowlegde) because i was too lazy to do the agenda for the night (taxes for 2014^^)

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2015

Nice work around the sales rules! Also, glad it didn't cost you much to get it repaired - your watchmaker must like you to fix it so cheaply.

Cheers, Al

imexian and tpatta like this.
  6. imexian Jan 15, 2015

Amen...