Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. munichblue Oct 3, 2017

Do you dare to take down the plastics? :cool:

Justme, Toishome, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 3, 2017

Come on then, if somebody held a gun to your head and you had to let go of one or the other, which would you keep?

Would love to have that same pair, what a week!

shutterlife likes this.
  3. shutterlife Oct 3, 2017

If someone had a gun to my head, my bet is he's taking both, or which ever I'm wearing.

In all honesty, I haven't had them long enough to make that decision yet.

watchme and Tet like this.
  4. Travelhomedad Oct 4, 2017

Just got my email, almost at the finish line

joe3nyc and Tet like this.
  5. Justme Oct 4, 2017

That is a great combo!

6. repoman Oct 4, 2017

Count me in as an arrival, unexpectedly. I was one of the many Californians deep into REM sleep when these were sold out, so I put myself on the wait list. I got a call today and boom! I'm traveling on biz, so won't see it until I get home, but by this point we've all seen them so I'll just count my blessings and enjoy the piece. Have faith my brothers and sisters on the wait list.

lando, abrod520, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  7. Theognosis Oct 4, 2017

Be careful, the ST is unprotected on the side! Hope the crown of the 60th doesn't leave a scratch on your ST when you flip the latter next month. ;)

8. tyrantlizardrex Oct 4, 2017

I've heard from several sources that "suspicious" orders and waitlist places have been cancelled... be interesting to see how that affects the legit potential buyers on the waitlist (hopefully positively!).

BenjaminT likes this.
  9. BenjaminT Oct 4, 2017

What do your sources say regarding the root cause of the delay? Dial? Print on SL Subdials?

10. tyrantlizardrex Oct 4, 2017

I have no information on that side of things... but to wildly speculate based on things that have been said publicly, and then throw in a little supposition:

In the interview that Raynald gave to the US newspaper, he expressed dissatisfaction with the summer shutdown, and the effects that this has on production... so I'd guess that impacted not just the ST, but delivery of all sorts of less closely watched models.

There's been a lot made of "QC" issues, but it's really a tiny quantity from the look of things, and as disapointing as it must be, they are resolving things very quickly.

Knowing now how fast this project was turned around, from the conversation with Robert-Jan, I do wonder if Omega overpromised on the delivery - with the 60th models already in production plan, along with everything else from Basel 2017, squeezing in 2012 additional pieces, of a different design, to the years manufacturing output, was maybe more complicated that they had expected.

neilfrancis likes this.
  11. chunkythebulldog Oct 4, 2017

According to my AD the delay was down to the ST holding up the standard Speedmaster build so they made the decsion to stagger delivery of the ST and focus capacity on the Speedmaster.

12. BenjaminT Oct 4, 2017

As far as I know, the Swatch group hasn't been doing the summer shut down for several years now (oldest newspaper article stating this I have found adhoc is from 2004). But of course this may disrupt the supply chain slightly. Warehousing is so old fashioned ;).

Focus on watches not already being presold is an educated guess from my side as well - I was just wondering if there are more reliable statements.

Edited Oct 4, 2017
  13. tyrantlizardrex Oct 4, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/fashion/watches-omega-swatch-group-speedmaster.html?mcubz=3

"August frustrates Raynald Aeschlimann, president and chief executive at Omega.

When he welcomed a guest to his office for a tour of the company’s new production building here early last month, the 47-year-old chief executive was clearly unhappy. Production was running at just 60 percent of capacity, largely because Omega suppliers still shut down for almost the entire month, a summer holiday tradition in Europe.

“I want to run a full 52 weeks,” he said, gesturing toward the adjacent building where, the tour later showed, rows of assembly desks were only about half occupied.
    "

14. corn18 Oct 4, 2017

So Omega is not on summer holiday, it's the suppliers that are slowing down Omega production. Seems Omega could bring in enough raw material ahead of the summer holiday to hold them at 100% production capacity through the holiday. Not the most efficient from a lean manufacturing standpoint and ties up a bunch of cash, but better than running a factory at 60%.

15. BenjaminT Oct 4, 2017

I doubt lacking supply is the only reason. August is the main holiday season anyway - at least in countries where employees have a significant amount of paid leave. Executives don't tend to like this, but it's something that can be planned for.
    This holds true for Michael O'Leary and for Raynald Aeschlimann. No reason for cancelling flights or not delivering watches ;).

16. tyrantlizardrex Oct 4, 2017

Given that most of the suppliers are part of the SWATCH group, in my mind at least, it kinda equates to the same thing.

17. BenjaminT Oct 4, 2017

My statement about no summer shutdown is true for entire SWATCH group:
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.bielertagblatt.ch/nachrichten/wirtschaft/es-arbeiten-nicht-alle-durch&edit-text=&act=url
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.schweizerbank.ch/de/artikelanzeige/artikelanzeige.asp?pkBerichtNr=157652

18. tyrantlizardrex Oct 4, 2017

I'm just going on what the big man told the dude with the notebook and the press credentials. ;)

neilfrancis and BenjaminT like this.
  19. BenjaminT Oct 4, 2017

I've stumbled about these discrepancies in the big guys statements before. I hope you don't mind me challenging you a bit :cool:.

20. tyrantlizardrex Oct 4, 2017

Not in the slightest. ;)