Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy, am I crazy?

1. KVNNSCHNG Oct 28, 2017

Am I crazy or is the lume in this photo incorrectly applied?...

40C5B05E-DDC6-4989-904F-15591C374A36.jpeg
  2. gdupree Oct 28, 2017

That appears to be a defect in the lume application.

There have been several stories around here is similar issues with quality control on these. If I remember correctly, most said that Omega has been responsive and helpful in getting it fixed. Talk to Omega and they should sort it out.

3. KVNNSCHNG Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for the reply!

Apologies as my original post was supposed to be a reply to another member in the Speedy Tuesday Arrivals thread. In any case, this is not my watch and I am well aware of the quality control issues surrounding the Speedy Tuesday... let’s hope the owner of said watch catches this flaw and sends it back

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 28, 2017

Has anyone seen damaged lume around the sub-dials yet? Or is all this primarily on the markers around the perimeter of the dial?

5. KVNNSCHNG Oct 28, 2017

I have read (almost) every post in the Speedy Tuesday Arrivals forum and to date I have not heard of a single case where the sub dials had damaged or improperly applied lume. It seems to be primarily around the chapter ring surrounding the dial.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 28, 2017

Thanks - in the repair world, Omega has been silent about the issues on the perimeter of the dial, but has noted that some watches have had damage to the lume around the sub-dials. As soon as I saw this design, I knew the lume would get damaged on the sub-dials...this makes hand removal without doing damage much more of a challenge. From a watchmaking point of view, it's a poor design choice, but I see that owners might like it...

Cheers, Al

Theognosis, alam, Jwit and 6 others like this.
  7. Watchmutt Oct 28, 2017

I noticed this on the original thread this was posted on, but didnt want to be too picky. Is it really that bad, and would someone want to take a chance that something else wouldn't be buggered up in Omega's attempt to fix this? I've seen worse lume issues on the STs.

If you bought one on the secondary market and it had issues like this, would Omega cover it under the warranty? I would probably ask for lume shots before purchase. This is a risk that you could mitigate somewhat when buying new in person at a dealer.

KVNNSCHNG likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2017

Agree. I would be happier if they had left the lume off the subdials.

9. sevenhelmet Oct 28, 2017

I think this edition looks fantastic. Al brings up a good point though for the long-term maintenance of the watch.

10. Ssunnylee24 Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, they will likely take your watch (that you probably waited about a year for) away for 2-3 months and give it back to you serviced.

11. kippyk Oct 29, 2017

The lume on this watch is pretty breathtaking. I wonder how they will look in 10 years.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 29, 2017

It's SL. It should look exactly the same as it does today unless you let moisture in.

Foo2rama and Jwit like this.
  13. cvera Oct 30, 2017

I'd feel pretty bummed if I bought a watch only to find a basic component(lume) was not applied correctly. I'd take it back and best case scenario get it replaced. If they didn't replace, I would settle for them taking it back to repair but wouldn't be as satisfied as a customer.

14. Maganator Oct 30, 2017

Why cant we see the hand on the 9 o'clock sub dial?

Is it just a trick of the photo?

15. cfracing Oct 30, 2017

I believe it is because the photo was taken with a longer exposure time and the second hand is moving. You can see multiple ghost images of the hand halfway between the 20 and 30 marks. 5 second exposure?

Maganator likes this.
  16. Watchmutt Oct 30, 2017

Its there but the photo was probably taken with a slow shutter speed, so it appears as just a blur around the 4oclock position.

Maganator likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2017

With an LE like this, I suspect a repair would be your only option. I know many people want to demand a replacement at the first sign of any problem, but generally speaking warranties don't allow for that being an automatic thing, and would only be done in exceptional circumstances, or as a courtesy.

18. Maganator Oct 30, 2017

Thanks guys - didn't notice that.

19. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 30, 2017

Is that really true? I have a Sub from 2003 and the lume on that is very strong to start off but fades very quickly. I find it hard to believe this has always been the case. I don't know if other people's SL watches perform exactly like new after 15 years.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 30, 2017

Mine do. Perhaps it is a Rolex thing. My Explorer II from 2008 had very poor lume (I only owned it a year so don't know if it deteriorated from new) but all of my late 90s SMPs (there have been a few) had great lume and still do. You can find your way home from the lume on a 2254 or 2255 no matter how old.

Puma and Archer like this.