Forums Latest Members

OHPF Omega Speedmaster/ Speedsonic, near NOS, correct ribbed rally band, working perfectly.

1. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 10, 2016

Morning all

This is the second of my Sonics to be put up for sale in as many days but I need to finish paying for my new Ed White and as such I need to let a few pieces go, hopefully for the right reasons though.

IMG_0934.JPG

This is a beautiful and simply stunning example (with only the lightest of storage marks) of the first electronic chronograph chronometer ever made and at the time Omega flagship chronograph.

IMG_0933.JPG

I wouldn’t think it needs much introduction to Omega enthusiasts but just incase; The Omega Speedmaster 'Speedsonic' was introduced in the early 1970's as Omegas flagship chronograph, considerably more expensive than the moon watch or other Omega chronographs and the only one (other than the limited edition Speedy 125) that was Chronometer certified. The Speedsonic was an adaptation of Omegas mosaba movement or as we know it the F300, a mechanical movement which ran on a battery and was controlled by tuning forks which vibrated at a frequency of 300Hz

IMG_0910.JPG

The movement was made under licence by Bulova, the chronograph version then adapted with basically and extra 'layer' for the chronograph operation. The movement in this watch was known as the Mosaba meaning 'montre sans balancier' translates for 'watch with no balance'

IMG_0911.JPG

In 1975 a new Speedsonic was £190 compared to £124 for the moon watch so it sat at the very top of Omegas Chronograph range and the price tag really did reflect the build quality of these watches, at 1/3rd more expensive than a moon watch they needed to be something special…………. They are!

Speedsonic.jpg

So good was the quality that in 1978 Omega send approximately 12 of this model were sent to NASA with Radial Dials (and Star made cases) to test them as a possible replacement for the famous 145.022 moon watch, they passed all of the rigorous NASA tests (I am fortunate to also own one of these watches #12)

IMG_0912.JPG

They were produced in small numbers (due to cost of the movements) and when new was one of the most expensive Omega chronographs in the range in its day it was amongst the most advanced Omega made, even by today’s standards it is a work of genius and becoming increasingly hard to find in good condition.

This example is about as good cosmetically as they come, the case is basically as new with only the lightest of storage marks (and still some intact purple zappon), the movement is fully serviced and overhauled by Paul at Electric watches and comes with a 12 months warranty

Condition:

Case: As new and factory finish is perfect with only the lightest of storage marks.

Case-back: Completely original and again simply perfect with only the lightest of marks

Bracelet: Correct new ribbed rally band

Dial and hands: Perfect and a lovely honey patina to both dial and hands, there are a few light age related marks on the sub dials but nothing that detracts

Crystal: NOS dark tachymeter crystal, a few light marks under the crystal (go figure, that how it came to me), it is also eversoslightly off 12, Non the less the matching blue crystal is still available from Omega.

Box: Original correct red 1970's Omega chronograph box and tags

FullSizeRender.jpg

I am looking for a bargain £1275 posted RMSD or International signed for

Please remember chaps this is a basically as close to a new watch as you will find, the case is perfect and never touched and the movement is fully serviced, overhauled and running as it should with a 12 month warranty.

Cheers Tom

2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2016

Another beautiful Speedsonic Tom.

Having got mine back from Paul last week, and been wearing over the weekend, I can't recommend these watches enough.

The fit/styling is incredibly comfortable/easy wearing, and the watches themselves are just ace.

Whoever takes this off you is getting a bargain.

GLWS.

tomchi likes this.
  3. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 10, 2016

Thanks buddy

The watch is now OHPF

Thanks Tom

tyrantlizardrex likes this.